Bedding in Run?

trinity2883

Chirping
Jan 29, 2021
Still working out my cleaning/sanitation system and I had to ask: Do y'all put bedding down in the runs themselves or just in the coop? I'm relocating my coop in the backyard from a semi muddy area to a very grassy area and I had put pine shavings down but the area I want to move them to is much grassier, and I'm wondering if it's really necessary to put bedding down in the run since they're outside. :cool:

Pictures of your backyard runs (I know farm setups are usually pretty different) would be bonus!

I have a covered run and it is sitting on some concrete blocks. I did fill the run with dirt and sand, leaves get added in the fall, and grass clippings during the seasons. I haven't added pine shaving but others do.
Is your run in a well drained area or does the run hold water?

I have an open run, its about 900 sq ft. Just built a second run "around" two sides of it, the third side shares a common wall with my barn.

I throw leaf litter in it, plus the spent leaf litter I put in the hen house itself. Also, I throw kitchen scraps in. and often, "lawn scraps" - though I have the start of a pasture, not an actual lawn.

Everything in it slow composts and improves the soil. Ground is graded to discourage rainwater from running in, and encourage rainfall to run out - where it takes compost nutrients to the surrounding area.

After they destroy the grass you'll need to put litter into the run to keep it from turning into an unsanitary mud hole.

Aged wood chips (the kind you get from the tree service), are the most popular but you can use fall leaves, pine straw, shavings, straw, or whatever you've got that comes readily to hand. IMO, a mix of materials and textures is best to prevent packing, matting, and the formation of anaerobic pockets.

Many people try to make the floor of the run resemble a forest floor in an attempt to replicate chickens' natural environment. :)

While it's still grassy, probably not, but they will likely kill the grass eventually. If you have a chicken tractor situation, you can keep moving them to new grassy spots. Otherwise, you'll probably want sand or something to prevent mud.

I'm discussing with my husband about setting up a tractor style with wheels on the coop. We built an extension on to the run that came with the coop (we bought a premade one from the feed store) but I think I'll just employ my teen boys to help move it around every few days.

Chicken Tractors are fine **IF** you have a small flock. The larger the flock, the bigger the tractor, the heavier the assemblage, and the less likely (most) people will be to move it religiously once the novelty wears off.

Something to keep in mind as you discuss with the husband.

If you still go that route, I suggest focusing strongly on the most efficient, lightest weight tractor designs you can - like modified hoop coops - and carefully considering whether or no you have any vehicles which might aid your moving efforts. Consider your ground, as well. Even ground, or very gently sloping, is fine for mobile coops. Uneven ground raises the risks of birds escaping out, predators digging in/going under, and increases twisting stresses on the overall build, contributing to it becoming rickety and needing additional maintenance. As well, the larger the mobile coop, the more likely an unnoticed high or low spot in the yard will create a gap below the framing.

and if you are in a high wind zone, consider how you are going to stake it down, as well.

I clean my coops every week or two and dump the pine shavings into their pen.
20201010_173513_resized.jpg

Their pen used to be grass and weeds.
20200827_102720_resized.jpg

GC

Chicken Tractors are fine **IF** you have a small flock. The larger the flock, the bigger the tractor, the heavier the assemblage, and the less likely (most) people will be to move it religiously once the novelty wears off.

Something to keep in mind as you discuss with the husband.

If you still go that route, I suggest focusing strongly on the most efficient, lightest weight tractor designs you can - like modified hoop coops - and carefully considering whether or no you have any vehicles which might aid your moving efforts. Consider your ground, as well. Even ground, or very gently sloping, is fine for mobile coops. Uneven ground raises the risks of birds escaping out, predators digging in/going under, and increases twisting stresses on the overall build, contributing to it becoming rickety and needing additional maintenance. As well, the larger the mobile coop, the more likely an unnoticed high or low spot in the yard will create a gap below the framing.

and if you are in a high wind zone, consider how you are going to stake it down, as well.

Ah yes, all excellent points, thank you!! I'll definitely keep all this in mind while figuring out my options. I'll have a total of about 7 chickens in there when it's all said and done (assuming chicken math doesn't take hold too badly).

We also rent and I'm trying to figure out the best option for not destroying the yard too much before we buy a house in about 2 years, but the back yard is not all level. On a good note, it's not really windy here.

Back
Top Bottom