bedding --is it the right kind?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tankernav1, Apr 8, 2009.

1. tankernav1

tankernav1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    So I'm such a perfectionist everything is driving me nuts! [​IMG] I've been using towels for the chicks bedding for the first 2 weeks. They are doing great with it, we change the towel once a day. Although now that the poop is bigger it is getting dirtier more often. I'm thinking of switching to the pine shavings. I bought a big bag last month from a family run farm store and they told me it was pine shavings. I just looked at it and all is says is Pestell softwood shavings. So..will this be ok? I know I am not supposed to use cedar so now I'm freaked out that they sold me this huge amount of bedding I won't be able to use! Thanks for advice!

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Sounds like they're ready for shavings. When I brooded them, I only used paper towels for 2 days, then they went right on the shavings. Now that I hatch under a broody, they end up on shavings right away.

I'd probably use the shavings. Cedar is the only thing we're supposed to avoid.

3. chels23

chels23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    S.E Kansas
    They are old enough to take out the paper towels. A lot of people use pine shavings for the floor of their coop. You are right though no cedar. Have you taken any of the shavings you bought out of the bag?

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Yeb your good to go, use it and don't worry, they will be just fine.

good luck

Omran

5. tankernav1

Feb 20, 2009
    Thanks. I just contacted the company directly and this is what he said:

Hi,
    Yes it is all softwood,pine, spruce and fir.There is no cedar. You should be okay.

6. tankernav1

Feb 20, 2009
    I actually use old bath towels in the brooder right now---not paper towels.

7. fairladi_chick

fairladi_chick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2008
    gray court,sc
    how about news paper as long as it dont cost more than the paper towels,, especially if you get free weekly paper in the mail every week!?

8. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Lots of people use shredded newspaper, but it can be slick and cause leg problems if not shredded.

If there were cedar shavings in the bag of shavings, I believe you would be able to smell it, at least if it were in any quantity. I'd use the wood shavings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by