Bedding material for chicks

Quote:
Yes.

~ Aspen
caf.gif

Quote:
Newspaper is a BAD idea! That isn't a good bedding at all. The newspaper doesn't provide good "cushioning", it's hard for the chicks to walk on and they can develope spraddle legs, it doesn't provide traction for newborns. Over all a BAD idea. Just my $0.02

~ Aspen

I used clean play sand in my brooder. For extra tiny chicks, like Serama, I"ll put some paper towels over the top of the sand the first week. With a fine screen, you can clean out the poops easily, the only thing I don't like about it, is that if you are using mash, or very finely ground chick feed, its hard to separate the spills from the sand.

I used to use shavings, but my brooders are in my house, and shavings clog the vacuum cleaner to quickly.
rant.gif

I'm new to having chicks so I searched this very topic a few weeks ago and I decided to go with paper towels for the first few days and that worked well and was easy to clean. After 3-4 days, I switched the bedding to wood pellets, (the type meant for pellet stoves). They work really well I think. They are very absorbent and that really helps keep the odors down. A 50 lb bag cost $4 and the chick don't seem to be trying to eat the pellets. The pellets might be a bit more expensive than shavings but I've read that the chicks will sometimes try to eat the shavings, so pellets seem like a good alternative.

I use puppy training pads for the first week then change them on to wood shavings.
The puppy pads are brilliant, they are ultra absorbent, give traction for little legs and are relatively cheap if you shop about. I am not sure where you are in the UK but I have found Wilkinsons to be one of the cheapest places to get them if you have one of those near you.
I find when I change to the shavings that the chicks peck at them but don't actually seem to ingest any.

Paper towels and pine animal bedding pellets. I really like the pellets. They are very absorbant and prevent smell.

2-3-4 days after this was first posted, and I just have to say ... Chicks DO NOT NEED reading material.

I, however, may need new reading glasses. Every blame time I see this topic ... Grumble-grumble.

Okay, that's out of my system. Carry on. (I use the rubberized shelf liner, too!)

Back
Top Bottom