wood chips from a tree-trimming service
dry leaves
straw
hay
pine needles
shredded paper
sawdust
sand

If you choose sand, you should not mix it with anything else. People who like sand often manage it like a kitty-litter box, and scoop chicken poop out frequently (maybe weekly, daily, or even twice daily.)

The other things I listed can all be combined with each other and with shavings. Basically, any source of dry organic material has a chance of being useful. I have a strong preference for whichever one is available free at the place & time I need it. Some of those materials have disadvantages, such as packing down into a mat that is hard to work with. Sometimes it is worth learning to deal with the disadvantages of a free or cheap material, and sometimes it is not.

I have even used dirt a few times: shovel it into the chicken coop, then when it gets a bit stinky, shovel it out into the garden and put in more dirt. It's not my favorite choice, because it is heavy and gets stinky pretty fast, but there was a time when I needed to move the dirt across the yard anyway-- so I let is spend time in the chicken pen on the way.

hello I have eight chickens of different breeds an im trying to find alternative bedding besides tractor supply shavings. any suggestions?

How old are your chickens?

I was assuming adults, I see another poster is assuming young chicks.
Some beddings are more suitable for one age than another.

For example, puppy pads or a layer of paper towels might work well for young chicks, but adult chickens will shred those up quite quickly.

we've had a couple get sick for no aparent reason thinking it might be the bedding

As a very temporary thing, you could try a layer of old towels, then throw them out after they get messy. Do check that there are no dangling strings that a chicken might swallow (any age chicken.)

they are 2 years old

Two years are fully adults. I would not try puppy pads with chickens of that age, because they are likely to rip them open and might have trouble if they eat some of the contents.

Are they currently laying eggs?

heat lamps and fresh feed dumor brand

Adult chickens usually do not need extra heat, in most climates. How cold does it get in your area?

Two years are fully adults. I would not try puppy pads with chickens of that age, because they are likely to rip them open and might have trouble if they eat some of the contents.

Are they currently laying eggs?

Adult chickens usually do not need extra heat, in most climates. How cold does it get in your area?
laying it this time of year it is usually around 50 in the day and 40 at night

this time of year it is usually around 50 in the day and 40 at night

At that temperature, adult chickens do not need a heat lamp.

If you have been using a heat lamp, maybe they are acting sick because they are too hot. (Maybe not, but it is a possibility to consider.)

I would try no heat lamp for a bit, before trying very hard to change anything else.

Back
Top Bottom