bedding when moving to coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JennB, Jun 27, 2010.

1. JennB

JennB Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    nashport, ohio
    we are getting ready to move the ladies to their house. i read somewhere that u should take some on the bedding in the brooder and move it to the coop because of the benefical bacteria. is this something i need to do?

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    I have never heard of that. I think fresh bedding would be better instead of using old bedding that is dirty and old.

3. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I have heard of this, but I think you are only supposed to use the bottom stuff that's been there for a few weeks. I've never tried it, though, so I can't recommend it. Using new, fresh bedding may be a better "welcome home" gift for your hens, however. [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Ick. Fresh bedding for my feathered friends, thank you very much. They'll soil it soon enough, trust me.

5. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    I think the idea is to bring the beneficial bacteria into the new "sterile" bedding to , perhaps, get a jump on any harmful bacteria that may try to proliferate. I wouldn't think that you would need much. What the heck, throw a scoop in there!
    We americans are germ-o-phobes. Perhaps a little dirt/beneficial bacteria would do us some good! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by