Bedding

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 3spoileddogs, Sep 19, 2016.

1. 3spoileddogs

3spoileddogs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2016
    Can i use cedar bedding for their coop along with chicken bedding -- nesting herbs and etc.
    Thanks I appreciate this

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. 3spoileddogs

3spoileddogs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2016
    Thank you got it.
    Appreciate the threar

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    RE: cedar and pine shavings:

If you search the forums there are quite a number of discussions on the topic.
    And here's a link with just a statement of the main issue. http://ora.research.ucla.edu/OARO/Pages/animal-husbandry/bedding.aspx

The anecdotal reports of no problems exclude the use around chicks and young pullets.

The only animal research on the issue has been in mammalian small animals. Since it is not used commercially for poultry, I doubt we'll ever see research on this topic specifically for our interests.

But fresh cedar is not recommended by Aviary experts - but aged is acceptable.

I tend to be more cautious, but IMO if you want to throw in a little with their bedding and have good ventilation you would be ok - it is the aroma of the oils that causes the problems. Maybe let it age before using to reduce the risks?

RE: herbs in the nests. No problems there - just be sure to pick those that are known to be non-toxic. But warning - I thought it was a great idea too - but as soon as I placed some in the nests, my pullets ATE IT ALL [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by