Bedding

Jan 18, 2021
Hello,

I would appreciate some advice. We are into our third year of having a backyard flock. Our first flock consisted of 12 layers. We are now looking forward to 10 broilers and 5 layers in late April early May, however I have some concerns about the bedding I should use for the broilers as I understand they get fat and lazy and do not move around a lot. I do not want sick dirty chickens so would appreciate your comments on what you have had success with. Much appreciated.

This just for brooding or long term? A bigger picture explanation of your setup and goals for these birds will help us answer your questions. :)

We have an existing coop that we are going to divide for the meat birds to separate them from out layers. The coop will be 8' x 4' with a shelter at one end with feed and water just outside of the shelter. The existing flooring is dirt. This will house our meat birds for the 8 - 10 weeks. If this is successful we would purchase 10 more day old meat birds possibly in the fall and then again next spring.

Wood chips, leaves, hay or sand. Have plans for the bedding. I recommend composting the bedding for the garden. I will keep the tractors in one spot and add bedding until they are 4 weeks since they can shimmy under the edges when moving the tractors. I like them larger before moving.

The bedding can be overwhelming. Easier way is to add a little everyday. Cover the poop and absorb the waste. Keep it deep.

I have a source of free shredded yard waste. Watch the cost if you are sensitive to it.

In my 4'x8' tractor, the 10 meaties get crowded at 4 weeks for my preference. May consider starting with fewer than 10 and that will give you an idea of poop load too.

Best wishes.

Wood chips, leaves, hay or sand. Have plans for the bedding. I recommend composting the bedding for the garden. I will keep the tractors in one spot and add bedding until they are 4 weeks since they can shimmy under the edges when moving the tractors. I like them larger before moving.

The bedding can be overwhelming. Easier way is to add a little everyday. Cover the poop and absorb the waste. Keep it deep.

I have a source of free shredded yard waste. Watch the cost if you are sensitive to it.

In my 4'x8' tractor, the 10 meaties get crowded at 4 weeks for my preference. May consider starting with fewer than 10 and that will give you an idea of poop load too.

Best wishes.

Thank you for your reply. I welcome the advice. It's going to be a new experience. Cheers

Thank you for your reply. I welcome the advice. It's going to be a new experience. Cheers
For me the answer was space. I opened the tractors and let them run the garden area. Spread the poop out and they foraged. Feeding morning and after work. They were ravenous. 20 minutes and picked the food up at the end. They ate grass, bugs and anything else they could catch. The garden got fertilized and scratched.

The tractors worked for me for 4 weeks. After that, with 5 in the tractor and moving it twice a day, I wasn't happy with their conditions. Much better letting them run amok. At bedtime, I would herd them back to the tractor for safety. The Imperial Broilers would roost on top (last year). The CX would find a spot by the fence and make a raft (2 and 3 years ago). I'd tell the size differences as I carried them to the tractor.

Lots of work. Ruined grocery store birds for me. Homegrown is the best.

Back
Top Bottom