Bedding

I would'nt. I would use dryed up grass clippin's first. (we did it the first day) if the paper doesn't supply any traction, they could dislocate a hip. you could use paper towels. I hope this helps:)

You may be at risk for spraddle leg and then you'll regret it. We used wood pellets in our brooder and it works GREAT! Only had to change some of it out twice if over 7 weeks. Just stir it up/ maybe add a little bit and all is well. Keeps things REALLY dry, so it lowers the risk of Cocci too.

Can get wood pellets (pine and no chemicals added) from local farm supply, agway, tractor supply..etc.)..may also be called equine bedding

Quote:
No to slick. Chicks hips are very fragile and can dislocate easily if they slip on paper. I used extra heavy duty paper towels doubled up and pine shavings on top of that. I've hand fed parrots that had straddle legs and trust me, it's heart breaking.

If you want to use paper, shred it first. Check with offices or office supply places where you might be able to get their shredded paper.
It makes an adequate bedding and Ive used it when it was available.

Other things you can use that are free are clean grass clippings, fine leaves, clean sand, clean mulch, even finely sifted and clean dirt.

Back
Top Bottom