Bedding ?

Jim41

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
I thought about useing cedar shaveings in the coop and nest boxes. Is it ok to use ?

From what I've read, the thujone (cedar oil) irritates the chickens and does them no good. Have you worked with cedar and gotten a sliver? Nasty! Now imagine snuggling down in it for the night.

Pine shavings are good, though.

Cedar shavings can be toxic, because of the aromatic oils it contains. Plain wood/pine shavings are cheaper. I personally use wheat straw, because it's cheap and available.

I thought it would keep bugs away . and make it smell good didnt know it would bother the girls. THEY JUST STARTED LAYING should i dust them for bugs on a regular basis or just if I see a problem.?

I use shredded aspen sold as premium horse bedding i get a #45 bale for $6.00 it keeps the odor down and very absorbent .I go throgh and clean out droppings every other day and replace the entire bedding as needed . If you have a mills fleet farm near you thats where i get it. good luck

I use wood stove pellets in my 8x12 coop, takes about 8 bags and they slowly break down to sawdust as the girls poop on it. Essentially it sucks the moisture right outta the poop and dries it out... No smell, and when I need to change it the bedding goes out to the compost pile.

I give it a rake every 3 days or so to move the pellets from the bottom to the top.

Back
Top Bottom