Bedding

Truck207

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 7, 2010
I was wondering when it was OK to put shavings in as bedding? They have been on paper towels for the last 2 days. So, would I be safe with putting shavings in now?

Thanks.

I put them on pine shavings on day two. You are going to get a variety of answers. I have been doing this for five years with my meaties 150/year, and new pullets various breeds on average 15 every other year. So in total I have put approx. 795 two day old chicks on pine shavings with no problems what so ever. You have to do what works for you.

I thought it would be OK, but I figured I would ask first. I believe the shavings I have are pine shavings, but I can't see where it says if they are pine.

Thanks for the help.

Ooops....I put pine shaving right away
he.gif
.....they definately seem to know the difference though

I just put the shavings in (the are not cedar, but they don't say pine. On the bag it says softwood shavings, so hopefully those are fine) and they are picking them up, carrying them around, and trying to break them on the ground. They all carry the shavings around like it is gold with a trail of chicks behind them!!

Last year I put down pine shavings and then paper towels on top of them. I would replace the paper towels one or twice a day. I did this for a couple of weeks. Sounds like I used paper towels much longer than necessary. Good to know. I will only use them for 2 or 3 days this year. It will be much easier.

Back
Top Bottom