Bedding-

Quote:
I tried the deep litter method. Not trying to be a smarty but all it meant was more dirty litter and not being able to open the coop door. The sand option sounds good but too much work up front for me. I have found that whatever is used it has to intially be deep enough to insalate from the mud, then tiny amounts can be added to stay ahead of it. In the run keep adding straw, in the coop 4 inches of litter with a tiny layer of straw over the high poopy areas and remove the straw every three days or so. I watch my bugget pretty closely and I've cut the litter cost in half without having muddy chickens. My thoughts based on experience. I'm sure others may have better options and I'm all ears.

I also use hay in the nest boxes, mixed with pine shavings..... they like to arange the hay around them and get comfortable before laying.... I only put in a handfull or so.

I have two bales of hay in the coop right now (square) I was using it to block off an area - to cut the coop in half to help keep the girlies warm as my coop is pretty big.
They LOVE picking that bale, its still tied but they've made a good job picking bits out.....

I knew the flat brick my husband uses as a "step up" was probably a bad idea. I bet if i took it out, Id keep bedding in the coop. The door isnt flush with the ground, its probably 1/2 foot. (with the block for a step up)

Quote:
See my door and the chicken door is higher than the outside ground and the floor of the coop - so you step over or up and over going either way.... we have at least 8 inches of space/step up and we're not anywhere near not being able to open the door.

If your coop is big enough perhaps keep an area to open the door free of shavings, and put a barrier of a piece of wood or something to keep the shavings on the other side.

My coop is 11x8 with a 11x8 run. I think I will do some door work tomorrow.
lol.png

My coop door opens to the outside. My coop floor is much higher than ground level. I have no problems opening the door with the deep litter method, but my big hen does scratch it out into the yard near the door. That's OK because I use shaving in the yard to keep it from becoming a mud puddle. I also use red oak leaves in the yard. The birds all love it! I still remove some poop every day even though you don't have to using the deep litter method. The food grade DE helps dry up the runny poo faster than shavings alone.

Quote:
See my door and the chicken door is higher than the outside ground and the floor of the coop - so you step over or up and over going either way.... we have at least 8 inches of space/step up and we're not anywhere near not being able to open the door.

If your coop is big enough perhaps keep an area to open the door free of shavings, and put a barrier of a piece of wood or something to keep the shavings on the other side.

Yeah, I blew it on that one. My coop is pretty small and I didn't take that into consideration. The door swings only about 2 inches from the bottom and swings into the coop as it should. O'well....Still the deep litter method means 6 bucks a bag at walmart. The straw thing is working for me right now. I'm hoping someone can chime in with a better way so I can save some more money.

fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom