Beddings For Outdoor Run In Pacnw Rain Shadow?

I use the wood shavings from the coop, and put them into the run. I change my coop bedding about once every month or two, so it doesn't get that dirty, though. I first put down Stall Dri then the shavings, and leave it on the run until it looks dirty, then rake it up and put it on the garden or compost pile. Of course, with all the rain we got this year, I got really behind on raking out the run. I finally went out there with a shovel on Friday and had to scrape off about a 2" layer of matted poop and shavings into the wheel barrow. It was a LOT of hard work and nasty. I think my garden is going to be really good next year, though
wink.png

Wood chips might be a better idea.

Last edited:
We live in the convergence zone here...so I feel the pain!! It may not rain/snow/sleet/hail/freeze south of us but we get it lol

Waht we did was since the lovely ladies have already decimated their run of anything remotely green or vegetationish, we raked the dirt flat. We then put a good layer of sand <10x 10 run>, then lime and DE, then landscaping bark chips like are used in the aviaries. In the fall we pile a huge amty of the leaves from the trees into the pen as well to help with drainage. So far no puddles,no nothing
smile.png
Its been great! Even with the downpours we have been having off and on this week, no puddles.

In the spring, we wil rake up a lot of the old stuff and compost it. We then add sand, lime/DE, and wood chips all over again.

Thanks for your replies.

So far the hens are just loving the straw - it is like a playground with hidden treasures underneath to scratch for.
Eventually I will add sand when I have the cash to have a load delivered. I think I'll also look into shredded wood trimmings (not cedar though).

I can easily rake this and dump into garden area as it becomes really messy.
It rains quite a lot here between November and April so we'll see how quickly this breaks down.

We converted our run to using sand. It's fabulous, girls love scratching in it, water diseminates and the sand stays pretty dry. Poops stays on top making it easy to clean

I also live in Vancouver (in the Felida area). When I built my coop and run this last spring I decided to go to the extra effort and expense to build a covered run. The run is covered with composition shingles. Most of the run is staying dry so far. About 1' of the run is muddy all the way around the perimeter. I have been trying to decide if I should put something down on the ground by the gate (both inside and outside the run) because it is getting pretty muddy. Maybe I will try some sand.

The covered run keeps the pullets dry during the rain and provides shade in the summer. It also is keeping out the hawks and eagles. Hawks are an especially big concern for us. I let the chickens out for some supervised free range time last Saturday. Within about 20 minutes a hawk landed in a tree near the chickens and was really watching them close. I ran towards it yelling and waving my arms. Luckily it flew off right away.

I've read elsewhere in the forum of people making a slightly raised chicken wire 'floor' that covers the grass of the run. The chickens walk on that and can get to the top of the grass, but can't get to the roots to totally decimate it, but can still get the greens and bugs and such in the grass. It's an idea, anywho...
jumpy.gif

This is my first year keeping chickens so I am learning so many new things here! I had no idea straw harbored mites. Oops! That's what I have in their run. It is covered so the straw doesn't get wet and I clean it out every month or so and replace it with fresh. About the DE.. how do you apply it? Just sprinkle it on the hay? Will it hurt my chickens? Any help would be welcome. Unfortunately, I just bought a fresh bale yesterday
sad.png
but when it runs out I will consider sand.

Last edited:
We ordered our food grade DE online and received a case of 6 large plastic canisters. I scatter it sometimes with a slotted spoon or an old mesh pasta drainer.
We also have the DE in the coop and so far no evidence of mite infestation.

Felidaet: I am wondering if you can put out small river rocks in that muddy perimeter.
It would help with drainage and look nice. Home Depot and Lowe's sell bags of small river rock for small projects.
We have hawks too although I am closer to downtown but we are surrounded by Doug Fir trees.

We've had constant rain this last week and so far straw hay is holding up. Main purpose was to create a layer that the hens and I could walk on.

Hi, as you can see from my posting, (this is #2), I'm a chicken newbie. I was thinking about some stone dust around the perimeter and inside/outside the doors. Thought it may serve two purposes... help keep things from getting muddy + give the chickens some grit. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom