Bedtime Blunders

Matzwd

Songster
5 Years
Apr 9, 2018
St Louis, Missouri
This is a little long, sorry. Anyhow, I am five days in on moving (18) babies that are 11-13 weeks old from their grow-out coop into two separate coops. So, they are being split up. The eleven standards are being put into one coop with the two existing adults, and the seven bantams are being placed into another coop.

They have all been raised together, and all of the youngsters have been through the intro process with the adults, and they do fine together. They spend their entire days enclosed in a 12 x 24' run together. Oh, and both coops are within that single run.

Granted, we have just started the new routine, but it's been rather chaotic.

Days 1 and 2: I caught each chick and placed it into the coop it should be in.

Day 3: Bantams began putting themselves to bed in their coop, but the standard babies started following suit, into the bantam coop. I removed the three that had made it inside abs put them back out into the run. I closed up the bantam coop for the night so the standard girls would be forced to retire to their own coop. They were freaking out, flying into the windows and doors of the bantam coop (and crashing) trying to get inside. My son, his girlfriend, and I stood in front of the windows and front door so they couldn't see them. They all finally, one at a time, went into their big girl coop.

Day 4: I work almost until dark, so they had already put themselves away by the time I was home. My original two birds were camped out on t hff e tiny porch of the standard bird coop, abs about half of the standard babies were inside. The other half was inside the bantam coop again with the actual bantams. I again moved the standards out to the standard coop

Day 5: I got home late again, before it was super dark, but late enough they were all in bed, and all but one standard was inside the bantam coop again. There's was one lone girl in t by e standard coop with CJ and Blue (the adults). I picked each one out and put it in the right coop.

I should add that I dont want to lock them inside their respective coops because of the heat but also because both coops are raised off the ground, and they would have to go through introductions all over again.

Please tell me, am I fighting a losing battle? Is this separation of standards and bantams going to work? I need some advice.

Okay. Here goes. Someone will soon come along with better advice but this is what I’m thinking. I agree with not locking them in their coops. But what I would be thinking is how to separate the run into a bantam part and a big chicken part. The Bantams would naturally go on their side and then the big chickens would learn that their coop is on their side. I’d keep them like this for about a week and hope the bigger chickens finally catch on.

Okay. Here goes. Someone will soon come along with better advice but this is what I’m thinking. I agree with not locking them in their coops. But what I would be thinking is how to separate the run into a bantam part and a big chicken part. The Bantams would naturally go on their side and then the big chickens would learn that their coop is on their side. I’d keep them like this for about a week and hope the bigger chickens finally catch on.
That's a good idea. I just don't know how feasible it is. Perhaps a soft screen like a tarp would work temporarily. I'll go out and study it today. Also, I am going to try putting the bantams away early and locking up their coop an hour or so before bedtime. This should force the big girls to go into the other coop. The problem comes when I can't be home in time. Today and tomorrow I can.
It just scares me when they are trying to fly through closed windows and doors. I am afraid they will get hurt. The entire separation ordeal seems so stressful for them. I'm way too emotionally invested, right?

A family friend had this problem. Their solution was to put a plank of wood or whatever you can find, and put it in the door so that the bantams could get in but the bigger chickens couldn’t. Of course they might still fit because they aren’t full size, but it might work.

Please tell me, am I fighting a losing battle? Is this separation of standards and bantams going to work? I need some advice.
Can be a tough situation, they want to 'flock' together.
Splitting the run would be the way to go.
Pics of your run would help garner solutions...is it covered or open on the top?
I have a temporary wall I use in my coop...chicken wire attached to 2x2's.

Or get a coop big enough for all of them.
Is there a reason you need to keep them separate?

A family friend had this problem. Their solution was to put a plank of wood or whatever you can find, and put it in the door so that the bantams could get in but the bigger chickens couldn’t. Of course they might still fit because they aren’t full size, but it might work.
Brilliant! This is what I will likely do.

Splitting the run would be the way to go.
Pics of your run would help garner solutions...is it covered or open on the top?
I have a 12 x 24 run that is entirely secure, but the openings are 1.5 x 1.5" so coops within are secure as well. We were fortunate enough to acquire a large equipment enclosure to use as our run. It is covered and is the safest place I have for my birds.
Or get a coop big enough for all of them.
My husband labored for two months last year to build my first coop, which is beautiful and built better than our house. That was before chicken math happened. He is finishing up a second coop (due to my addiction to poultry) that he has also done an amazing job on.
Is there a reason you need to keep them separate?
I figured it would be safer for the babies to have a coop separate from the bigger girls just in case there is aggression later on. Also, each group has it's own rooster, so they will be sleeping in separate coops (with their harems), and I thought that would minimize potential fights between the two of them. Mainly, though, there's not enough room in one coop for all of them, and considering my sweet hubby's efforts, we have to use his coops. I'll post some pics in a bit.

Back
Top Bottom