Beekeepers - Where do you buy honey bears?

schmije

Songster
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Peoria, IL
We took honey from our beehive for the first time this year, and we'd like to give some away for Christmas gifts. I'm looking for 6 or 8 oz. honey bears. I only need 1-2 dozen, but it seems like the big dealers sell them in lots of several hundred. Where would be a good place to get a small quantity of honey bears at a reasonable price? Thanks.

Those are all good sites posted above.

Do you process your honey or leave it natural? Because if you dont then it will solidify over time in the bear, we use wide open mason jars because we don't process ours. just a thought!

We don't process ours. When we first collected it, we put it into quart mason jars, but I'd like to split it into smaller quantities to give away. We've faught with getting the honey out of the mason jars without making a huge mess, so we'd like to try the squeeze bears. How long does it typically take to crystallize in the bears? None of the mason jar honey has begun to crystallize - yet.

If it crystallizes, put the container of honey with a tight fitting lid in your dishwasher with a load. The heat should be enough to melt it but not hot enough to kill the "good stuff" in the honey. We don't have a dishwasher, but we process lots of honey so we made a steel melter box which we can fit a five gallon bucket of honey in to decrystallize.

The dishwasher is an interesting idea. Never heard that one. We have a gas stove with a pilot light, so we usually just set the honey on the stove to decrystallize. We've also put it into a pot of warm (not boiling) water. I learned the hard way that the bears are not microwave safe.
tongue.png
I really don't think it'll be an issue if it crystallizes in the bears, since it's so easy to reverse it.

Back
Top Bottom