Been 4 weeks, still NO chicks??

Greetings from Kansas and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you with us!

Thanx to all who responded. Everyone told me to dump the eggs. I took them out and they said to break them to see if there were any babies formed. Well, I did. One egg was not formed. The other had a tiny wee-lit'l chick. It was barely breathing. It died of course. My grand-daughter and I cried and cried. We had a prayer and burial while we cried. I will never listen to any of my guy-friends around here again!! I can't tell you how terribly awful I feel. I will be crying myself to sleep tonite fer sure.
I did return all the rest of the eggs to the hen. (Tuffy). I really think that the chick was far too small for the amount of time she's sat. Even if it was the last egg, the baby was so very tiny. There was a lot of the yolk sac still in the egg. It was 4 weeks today she started sitting. I know there's a slight chance of more hatching, but I will be surprised if we have any hatch. Tuffy is a 1st time mom. I've noticed that she doesn't always cover all the eggs. Some are pretty cold to the touch. This is just a sad day for us.
Time for some sleep. Again, thanx to all who answered.

Chris*

So sorry for your loss of the chickie - it has happened to me too and i lost 3 that way ... just felt dreadful for interfering ... It is life ...and nature. Hope you have better outcome with the rest of the eggs ...

Well, I have some GREAT NEWS!!!! So far, we have 3 babies--and at least 3 more coming!! It's been 35+ days, but I've figured out what happened. We had some very cold nights and that's the reason it's taken so long. I'm just THRILLED -- and so are my grandchildren!! The chicks are just PRECIOUS -- and a MIRACLE!! My
daughter is even getting a kick out of watching them.
I just wanted to share with everyone. Thanx to everyone who responded and the words of comfort. God Bless ALL You Wonderful Chicken Lovers!!!!
I'll try to post pics later ~

Chris*

Update:
My babies are doing GREAT!! Growing like mad. Today they are trying to fly--it's so funny!!
I have to figure out WHERE to keep them for the winter. Our winters can be very, very cold. Last year I built them a large cage in the garage. I had a heat lamp. They did well, but everything in the garage is covered in DUST!! I'd like to build them a house outside out of pallets, but I'm not sure how?? Does anyone have any other ideas?? I really don't want to have to get rid of them. They are SO MUCH FUN!!!! I should be named "CHICKEN-LADY"!!!!

If you have a look on the "Coops" section and search for "Hinkel Haus" you will find a great article on building a chicken house from pallets! I am busy collecting pallets to build the same! You could adapt the plan for the size you want.... I plan to have the interior lined with plywood to be warmer and there is nothing to stop you adding batts insulation at this point too (or even silver foil insulation). Good luck with your coop!

Hi, all!! Just ME again!!
The 5 chix I have left are growing like weeds!! Not sure how many roosters yet, tho.
I wasn't sure where to post this. I'm probably in the wrong place, but hopefully someone will see this and can give me some info!!
I lost a hen earlier this year. She got really light in weight, eventho she was eating fine. I saw somewhere that there's a condition/illness where the chicken will literally starve to death. They eat normal, but something is goin on and they can't process their food?? I can't remember, but does anyone know what this is called?? I have another hen who I'm worried about. Her crop never seems to be full like the other hen. The one that died had her bone--by her crop--sticking out unusually big when she died. I don't remember IF there is anything you can DO when this happens?! ANY INFO WOILD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED?!?!?!?!

Back
Top Bottom