Bees in the run of the coop!!!

Atrayu

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 12, 2011
Hermosa, South Dakota
Today was one of the first spring like days in South Dakota (70s) and this morning when I went to the coop there were at least 100 or so bees in there. I think they are drawn to the corn. My chicken feeders are in the run which is fenced in to keep deer and wild turkey out. My hens were a little weary to going in the coop to lay eggs because of the bees. Anyone else every have this problem? Any suggestions to keep bees away?
thanks much for any advice
Bothered and Bee-wildered ;)
Mark

Ok, so here is what I would suspect. This is the time of year when bees are in the "MUST. GATHER. POLLEN." Mode and I bet someting in the run looks like pollen. Note they aren't the smartest little buggers - I've had them gather sawdust from my saw, and coffee grounds. Yes, Really. There isn't much to do about it beyond killing the bees, and that bugs me greatly, but you could set out a pan of soy flour and likely they will go after it instead, particularly if it has a (tiny!) amount of sugar water as well. DO NOT USE HONEY. It will work, in ways you can't possibly imagine if you aren't a beekeeper, but let's say the result will be unpleasant. Best bet is to lure them away. Myself, I collect pollen in the fall and feed it back to them in the spring.

My hens eat bees.

Indeed - and I'll point out that mine come running when I scrape out drone larva. Oh, how they love drones. Tasty, huge white drones. I used to have trouble with them sitting on the hive lids. Also, they eat wax month larva, which are apparently just as delicious (though you won't see me eating them).

Back
Top Bottom