Beet Shreds and Chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by smith2, Jan 28, 2009.

1. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    Anybody ever heard of "beet shreds"? My local farm store is starting to carry it in 50# bags. It is pretty cheap, and I know that beets have a lot of nutrients in them. So, can I feed it to my chickens? Would it have too much fiber in it for them?

2. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    My chickens will not eat beets.

3. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Beet shreds would be a very poor choice of feed for chickens. They are mostly fiber, and would not provide enough nutrients for them.

4. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

My parents had some in their garden. The chickens will not even eat the leaves off those things. Of course I don't like beets either. [​IMG]

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I feed soaked beet pulp to my horses and I throw the left overs to the chickens. Nutritionally, it is somewhat between grains and hay. This article, tho written for horse owners, may give you some information about it.

http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/beetpulp.shtml

6. ml

ml Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    Soaked beet pulp is great for horses. But my chickens are so so on it. I really dont consider it food but filler.

1 cup of oats = 100 cups of beet pulp

It is a great way to get water into a horse during the winter. I have a older horse and he gets 8 quarts a day of it. Here it comes in 40 and 25 bags of dried shreds. It must be soaked to feed a horse or here it is soaked and rinsed to get off any sugars. I have seen the peeps eatting around the horses feed dish but doubt they are after the beet pulp just his grain he has dropped.

ML

7. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    OK Thanks, It is really a horse feed/supplement. Doesn't sound like my chickens need THAT!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by