Before I say goodbye….

I had a maran pullet with a comb the same as my rooster and she made loud noises but never grew cockerel feathers and my maran rooster had cockerel feathers by 2 months old this is a 5 month old maran cockerel
92CF7FAB-2440-4AD0-8B2C-9C2B598D753E.jpeg
D1A30507-2175-4965-A039-BDA34E136E56.jpeg

Female hens can crow often for dominance. They may mate as well so that doesn’t signify that much. I’ll try attaching a photo of mine in the morning who thinks she is a boy. Absolutely massive comb and wattle like that, she sometimes crows, she mates the hens and my hand and really doesn’t lay anymore. She totally is convinced she is a boy.

I feel like yours is a girl who just looks masculine in appearance but i could be wrong?
Oh I wish I! Would love to see your pic. She/ he isvery sweet friendly. Follows me around the yard.. at this young would he be acting more a”male?”

I had a maran pullet with a comb the same as my rooster and she made loud noises but never grew cockerel feathers and my maran rooster had cockerel feathers by 2 months old this is a 5 month old maran cockerel View attachment 3675218View attachment 3675219
Wow beautiful feathers. Esme doesn’t have any “male feathers that I can tell. Could a vet tell for sure the sex?

Oh I wish I! Would love to see your pic. She/ he isvery sweet friendly. Follows me around the yard.. at this young would he be acting more a”male?”
It would be hard to say based off that

my lookalike roo (i will get a photo) follows me everywhere and also mates my hand, she comes running when i say her name but only if i say it in a high pitch a specific way. (It’s what i get for baby talking her i guess)

At the same time, roosters can also be really friendly so it just depends.

what i can say is that the roosters i’ve had tend to stand up very tall, walk sort of masculine or strutting their stuff, the best way i can put it.

I agree with the others; that looks like a pullet! I've learned to trust the saddle feathers over the comb and wattles. Don't give up on her yet!
Oh my gosh I can’t believe that maybe she’s a pullet. I just put” I need to find a good home “ad for her/him on Facebook etc. I felt so guilty every time she’s following me around since I’m going to give her away. Now with these replies, although I realize there is a good chance she’s a he I’ll keep her until when?If she hasn’t laid an egg by seven months but I assume she’s a he?

my lookalike roo (i will get a photo) follows me everywhere and also mates my hand, she comes running when i say her name but only if i say it in a high pitch a specific way. (It’s what i get for baby talking her i guess)

what i can say is that the roosters i’ve had tend to stand up very tall, walk sort of masculine or strutting their stuff, the best way i can put it.
Thanks, I’ll post if she lays an egg!

Thank you😊

There are more friendly males than aggressive ones. Cockerels tend to more friendly at a young age too, unless they get a lot of hormones in early. Level of friendliness is not an accurate way to sex a chicken.

Wow beautiful feathers. Esme doesn’t have any “male feathers that I can tell. Could a vet tell for sure the sex?
Vets that accurately know about chicken sexing or anything else are almost non-existent.

If she hasn’t laid an egg by seven months but I assume she’s a he?
I would suggest for you to wait far longer than that. If no other cockerel behavior is shown, before a year, then it is likely to be a pullet. Sometimes pullets take a long time to lay their first egg.

There are more friendly males than aggressive ones. Cockerels tend to more friendly at a young age too, unless they get a lot of hormones in early. Level of friendliness is not an accurate way to sex a chicken.

Vets that accurately know about chicken sexing or anything else are almost non-existent.

I would suggest for you to wait far longer than that. If no other cockerel behavior is shown, before a year, then it is likely to be a pullet. Sometimes pullets take a long time to lay their first egg.
Thank you. I’m going to do just that.!

Back
Top Bottom