Before Process Weight Vs. After Process Weight

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
I think I asked this in another thread that originally had nothing to do with the topic of this title. I don't think my post got an answer, and its been so long I am not going to awaken an old thread with an off topic question.

So, I actually am a week away from when I planned to process my meaties. However, I am not too happy with their pre-process weights right now.

My question is about what is the different in weight from preprocess to process time? Do I factor along the lines that once cleaned a bird can lose 2 or maybe 4 lbs from their preprocess weight? I am not sure how to calculate that to know when I'm going to get a decent weight when the deed is done.

To help them the last week or 2, is there a suggested feed they should be on to finish them up to get a couple more lbs on them? I currently have them on 50/50 Flock Raiser / Scratch. Then I ferment the feed before giving it to the birds. We're feeding between 3-4 times daily.

I really want to finish out these birds to get them at least 5 lbs finish weight, but they only weighing in at 5 lb now at 8 weeks old.

I believe that the dressed weight is 70% of the live weight. I would delay butchering if the live weight is 5 lbs. If they are CXers then something is wrong with your feed program.
Protein level should be fine w/flock raiser. I'd feed free choice full time and cut the scratch. Straight Flock Raiser, all the time.
Good luck

I've seen numbers anywhere from 70% to 75% of live weight, but I would go with the more conservative number.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions it is your feed. Could be the birds. I'm finding there is a difference in the various strains of CX. I have three batches, the first and the last from the same hatchery. The middle batch is growing better and look better than the other two, and they all get the same feed regimen.

Where did you get your birds?

You should bite the bullet and grow them at least another couple of weeks. And most growers up the corn in the ration to finish them off over the last two weeks, not lower it.

Ok, I'm giving 50/50 fermented feed twice a day now and the last feeding will be be all fermented scratch. I'll hold off until the weekend of the 18th for processes unless they surprise me!

I got these birds from Tractor Supply since these are my first cornish, before this I only did in extra roos and ducks. I'd be closer to 15-16 weeks on processing those and I always get a smaller bird. In most cases those birds are only stew birds... I need me a good grilling bird for the summer.

If this went well I was planning on doing about 12 birds a year to stock the freezer for us. So pardon my learning and expectations... which are all over the place since I see people with 10 lbs birds at 8 wks sometimes! WOW!!!

I've raised meat chicks for fair three times including this year and I've won Grand Champ. Cut the scratch, that is slowing them down. I feed chick starter. Only feed free feed and have a light on them 24 hrs a day. They will eat all night then too. My birds are 4.5 lbs at 4 weeks (one is 5lbs). Next time do some research and order from a hatchery that speacalizes in Cornish X.

I got from TSC because they would sell me only a few. This was a test to see if I even wanted to do this. Started with 6, lost 2 down to 4 now. TSC gets from Mt Healthy in Ohio. I've been told a lot that Welp Hatchery is the way to go for quality Cornish X. When I can meet their minimum I will jump on it. Going to have to get someone to split an order with me around here to do that.

I found one of my girls is just NOT eating well. She'll come over and peck with the others and then wonder off to scratch for bugs and eat fresh grass. She seems to prefer grazing over the bowls of grains. :p Of course she's the smallest of the 4.

My largest 2 are 1 roo and 1 pullet.... so I'm out trying to make connections to why they are like this.

Either one, its been a good experience thus far and I'd be happy with 5 lbs finished weight since that is 2 meals for my small family.

Back
Top Bottom