Before they break their fool necks

Joe, I think I'd show up out in the pen shaking a feed can and let the chicks fall where they may. They're young'ns, right? So, the bruises should heal quickly and they'll learn what they need to do.

As I said, my pullets have no problem with 3 steps with their 30" roost. When I open the door of their "sunporch" to allow them onto the backyard lawn, it's a little too much. They are willing to shoot out from about 4 feet above the ground rather than first hop down to the floor and then on out of the coop to the lawn.

The 4 foot jump is always accompanied by a great deal of noise and confusion. #1 chicken usually leads the way and then races around and checks the others for broken bones (I suppose) while delivering a few cranky pecks to the head for them being so silly. So, for those having chickens coming off rafters into the yard, I imagine that pandemonium reigns (rains?
wink.png
).

Rather than have my 4 jump the 4 feet, I am willing to help them down. They realize what I'm up to when I hold out my hands and push right up so as to lowered to the ground. This procedure has helped get the pullets accustomed to being handled. And it has worked except #4 chicken who has never wanted to be touched since she was tiny. I'm almost willing to leave her in there and close the door but she will then make such a racket that the trade-off just isn't worth it.

Steve

Joe, Maybe think more like a chicken?
I don't think it's that they can't figure out your structural changes, but If I were a chicken, I wouldn't see enough landing space on that one board. i can see why like to have the whole floor as their landing spot even if it is quite a distance. Besides the floor is soft, and the board is hard. Maybe try a straw bale instead of a board and see if they like that better.

DigitS and Chickenannie, thanks, you both might be right. It's 4:08 now, and I just came in from going out at 4:00 and pushing them off the roost, none the less for neither wear nor tear. They rushed right off the board to the floor and out the pop door ... dang that sounds like a poem... never mind... Hope they do better tomorrow; otherwise, they'll starve or die of thirst.

Ah, the SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS. Today all four came off the roost by themselves easily. Three hopped down to the landing board, and the other went straight down to the floor easily. Anne was out in the run with snacks calling them.
IT SURE DID TAKE LONG ENOUGH. I'm sure that this issue would never have come up if I had put that plastic screen in at the very beginning of when they started using the roost. I'll remove the screen in a couple of weeks to see if they'll continue using the landing board or start flying over it to land farther out on the floor.

Mine use a 8' board as a chicken ladder (ramp with strips of wood on it). Then they jump off a 5' platform and flap / fly / thud to the ground. I don't think they would use an open ladder. The ramp is important.

Congrats, Joe, on getting your birds to hop sensibly. I stand there and scold them -- USE THE LADDER. They have no idea what I am saying. Fortunately, our design works well enough that they do it.

I've had some good laughs reading this post. THANKS!
D.gif

7883_img_8647.jpg

Quote:
sorry, old post I know.
Just was thinking that even though this looks really cool, it seems that there are alot of obstacles in the way for chickens to avoid? I just got back in from clearing out a landing area/strip for my birds from a 3' roost. hahahah

Back
Top Bottom