Befriending my Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silkejess, Oct 29, 2013.

1. silkejess

silkejess New Egg

Oct 28, 2013
    I keep reading about these lovely relationships owners have with their chickens and am really keen to get the same!

I've had my Chickens for about 2 months, 2 silkie crosses and 1 barnevelder. The barnevelder seems to be getting used to be but they still seem quite flighty.

I've tried to spend lots of time with them, giving treats and food and calling for them etc, is there anything else I can do?

:)

2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Continue with what you have been doing, those are all the right things! Patience, patience, patience!!!
    It can take awhile, esp. if they weren't handled much when they were young. I have 15 hens and 2 are my buddies, always following me around, but they do not like to be picked up! When I have a treat in my hand, suddenly I have a lot more buddies!! But I also have couple who want NOTHING to do with me!! Not even for snacks! They always stay on the outer edge and give me the stink eye!

3. 3ChickensNADuck

3ChickensNADuck Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    hahaha, my duck use to give me the stink eye and puff up... in fact when one of my hens were younger she use to do that too. But with age and time they came around. one of them follows me around and the duck sometimes trys to play with me or does weird duck things and quacks? Just give it time, treats, caring and treats. btw don't be afraid to mess w/ them too (don't be overly nice). I see my duck playing tricks on the hens all the time (nibble on there head or wing) and they follow him around too. Although i did see a hen get mad at him and peck him a few times, kind of like brothers and sisters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by