Beginner at hatching pekins

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tmarr, Nov 7, 2015.

1. tmarr

tmarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2015
    Ok I'm going to try and hatch some duck eggs :) a few quick questions for the experts lol!

1. How long can I store the fertilised eggs for before starting.
    2.What is a good temp+humidity?
    3.How long to hatch pekin ducks?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm not 100% sure about duck eggs, but I know chicken eggs should ideally be set within 10 days, no more than 2 weeks.

Store in a cool room, not cold, just pleasantly cool with a humidity of around 50% or slightly higher and turn the eggs at least once a day to keep the yolks centred.

I hatched a clutch of Pekin eggs once and they started pipping on day 25 with the first arrivals hatching roughly 2 days later and most of the clutch completing the hatch on day 28.

Best of luck with your hatch!

3. aj161

aj161 New Egg

Aug 8, 2015
    Munising mi
    Not sure how long they can sit for. But I usually hatch mine at 99.5 F and about 50-55% humidity. They should be turned at least 3 times a day or more and always do it a odd number of times so there not on the same side everynight. They take 28 days to hatch and on day 25 stop the turning so they can position themselves for hatching properly.

4. tmarr

tmarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2015
    Thanks guys I'd be lost without you lol! Will let you know how it all goes! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by