Beginner egg layer story?

Feb 15, 2022
I have 4 chickens that are now exactly 4 months old. One Austrawhite, 1 Wyandotte and 2 Australorps. The Austrawhite has laid 2 perfect, but tiny eggs over the past 3 days. The other 3 haven’t laid anything but there have been 2 globs of egg with no shells found around the yard. I’m not sure what’s going on, but I know there will be some weirdness until they get the hang of things. How did the whole egg laying journey go with your hens? When should I start seeing regular eggs on a regular basis? And when will they all start laying at the same time? How did your eggs start coming?

What you're seeing is normal. Congratulations! They will start laying regularly very soon now, although the eggs will be varied. Some small, some shell-less, and as they get more consistent and pick up speed, you'll likely find a very large egg or two (double-yolkers!) :celebrate
Chicks I've raised generally start to lay somewhere between 21-26 weeks of age. They're small eggs, but within a couple of months they're more normal size. We have 5-gallon buckets with cut-out lids, laid on their sides and secured to a wood structure for their nesting boxes. They love them. I've been lucky to have 99.5% of eggs laid in the buckets; only rarely do I find one on the floor of the coop or out in the run.

I've learned to watch the younger layers, especially on hot days; two or more birds will try to cram themselves into one bucket, leaving several others empty. Go figure.

What you're seeing is normal. Congratulations! They will start laying regularly very soon now, although the eggs will be varied. Some small, some shell-less, and as they get more consistent and pick up speed, you'll likely find a very large egg or two (double-yolkers!) :celebrate
Chicks I've raised generally start to lay somewhere between 21-26 weeks of age. They're small eggs, but within a couple of months they're more normal size. We have 5-gallon buckets with cut-out lids, laid on their sides and secured to a wood structure for their nesting boxes. They love them. I've been lucky to have 99.5% of eggs laid in the buckets; only rarely do I find one on the floor of the coop or out in the run.

I've learned to watch the younger layers, especially on hot days; two or more birds will try to cram themselves into one bucket, leaving several others empty. Go figure.
Thanks for the encouraging information!

Back
Top Bottom