Beginner in Wisconsin

iMagen

In the Brooder
May 10, 2015
New Berlin, WI
Hello!

My name is Magen and I live in Wisconsin. My husband and I are currently looking into starting a small flock of buff orpington, as I've read that they are very good with small children (we have an 11 year old, 10 year old, and 8 year old) and docile.

I don't have any yet, but will be visiting our local feed store this week to check out availability and cost. I know it's a lot to ship live animals, so I don't want to go the route of a hatchery yet.

Any advice on a good coop for around $300 for 4-5 hens would be appreciated, along with any other advice you have for a beginner!

Nice to meet everyone!

Hi :welcome Magen

Glad you could join the flock? How exciting for you and your family to be starting out on your chicken adventures. Buff orpingtons are a highly recommended breed so I think you have made an excellent choice by going for them. My best advice for you would be to check out the learning centre, especially the getting started section. Here is the link > https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens
As for coops I would be wary about buying one from the Internet without actually seeing it as they are often sold saying they can hold said amount of birds but are much smaller than stated. Drop by the coop section for lots of ideas on coops > https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

Wishing you all the very best of luck with your new adventures. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Welcome to BYC, Magen. Glad you decided join our flock. Raising chickens is a great experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Buff Orpingtons are a wonderful breed for children as they are friendly and gentle. My children and my granddaughter made lap pets of ours. In addition, they are beautiful, hardy, and good layers of large, brown eggs. Definitely check out our coop link that Yorkshire coop has left with you. To get a good coop for around $300, you will either need to build it from scratch or purchase a used coop. I wouldn't recommend buying a pre-fab coop as even the largest ones will be crowded with 5 hens, and the pre-fab coops usually flimsily made and do not last very long. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your Buff Orpingtons.

Not only are Buff orps a beautiful , docile breed of layers BUT, they tend to go broody. When hens are broody they want to sit on and hatch eggs- and will do so. It's is much easier and better for the chicks to be raised the natural way. Mama's also teach babies how to be a chicken, what to eat, where to find their food and water.

Thanks everyone! We have been looking on Craigslist, but I'm leery about that too because of Avian Flu and other diseases. Should that be a concern with purchasing a 'used' coop?

@drumstick diva My best friend mentioned that about her buff orps.... But we aren't allowed to have a rooster in our city limits and only 4 hens. Will they still try to brood if there isn't a rooster? What's the best way to stop that?

Back
Top Bottom