1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Beginners luck??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by msh1064, Sep 23, 2014.

1. msh1064

msh1064 In the Brooder

May 23, 2014
    I thought i would share my recent chicken raising story on this forum because I still cant believe it. So back in April I bought three 8-week old Olive Eggers from a local feed store. These were the first chickens I have ever bought/raised. So myself and the lady working there took a shot at picking 3 pullets from the group of 15 straight run chickens. After about 3 months I realized after hearing a crow coming from my backyard (and getting some advice from the nice people on this forum) that 2 of the 3 chickens were roos. So I took them back to the feed store as they had said I could return them if they ended up being roos, and I picked up some 1 year old hens that were already laying. So here I was getting eggs from the 2 new hens but still nothing from that original Olive Egger but waiting patiently for that first egg to arrive from my Olive Egger. Then it happened, no not an egg, a very loud and very clear crow from non other than my 3rd olive egger this morning. What are the odds that I would pick 3 for 3 roos? Oh well, just cant believe that I picked 3 chickens at 8 weeks that managed to ALL be roos. I cant help but laugh about it. My wife had a pretty good laugh too, all that waiting for her to lay an egg - just to find out "she" is a "he". [​IMG]

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Songster

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Well, every pick is a 50/50 shot, LOL! I had a nightmare a couple weeks ago that ALL the BBS Orps I have coming next month turned out to be roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: