Beginners tips for ducks?

catobsessed

Songster
6 Years
Sep 8, 2016
First off, duck tax! I have officially named my duck Uncle Waldo, if anyone gets the reference, you are awesome.
4A983012-9424-48C2-9A1E-9E16DA59F3D3.jpeg

So I researched the unpleasant truth about crested ducks… I read that vitamin B can help with some of the neurological problems? Can I literally give him a vitamin B supplement like you would for people? Or is it more of giving him foods containing that vitamin? Or does somewhere like tractor supply have a supplement? I have some duck food ordered, but until then what can I give him? So far I have oats and mealworms. I can get some frozen peas, corn, and carrots too! I know this stuff isn’t ideal for long term, but it should be okay for a couple of days right? I also plan to get some sort of tub so he can get some water time! Luckily it doesn’t get that cold down here so he should be able to swim without complications. Any feedback is appreciated! Thank you so much for all the advice given so far! This will very likely be the only time I own a duck, but I want to do it right!

Uncle Waldo is absolutely adorable. ❤️

TSC should have duck feed, and they carry Durvet liquid B Complex it will say injectable but we give it orally just put it over a small amount of treats [mealworms] so your are sure he is getting full dose.

Hi, your duck is so cute with his crest/"haircut"! I used to have 2 crested ducks. One had a very large well centered crest, and she would fall off the ramp, etc. One day she got stuck in some netting that I told hubby to take care of..... But the other, with a smaller lop-sided crest, did fine. She was noticeably less tolerant of heat and cold than the others though.

Hi, your duck is so cute with his crest/"haircut"! I used to have 2 crested ducks. One had a very large well centered crest, and she would fall off the ramp, etc. One day she got stuck in some netting that I told hubby to take care of..... But the other, with a smaller lop-sided crest, did fine. She was noticeably less tolerant of heat and cold than the others though.
Aww poor baby!! I hope the fall wasn’t too bad! I noticed they seem kind of clumsy, but nothing major! Uncle Waldo just wanders around like a little drunk man 😂 did your ducks ever have seizures or anything? Mine seems to have a little tic where he shakes his tail feathers and then flaps his wings. I’m not sure if that’s just him or something ducks just do!
Uncle Waldo is absolutely adorable. ❤️

TSC should have duck feed, and they carry Durvet liquid B Complex it will say injectable but we give it orally just put it over a small amount of treats [mealworms] so your are sure he is getting full dose.
I’ll probably just do it orally, how often should I do it? Daily or a few times a week? I could just put it in his water too! He loves to drink! Next time I go to mine, I’m going to look for some! I hate I had to order his food but it’s the only option at the moment. 😞 but Amazon prime is pretty fast! I’m just going to give him a variety of foods until then, he’s not starving at least!

Aww poor baby!! I hope the fall wasn’t too bad! I noticed they seem kind of clumsy, but nothing major! Uncle Waldo just wanders around like a little drunk man 😂 did your ducks ever have seizures or anything? Mine seems to have a little tic where he shakes his tail feathers and then flaps his wings. I’m not sure if that’s just him or something ducks just do!

I’ll probably just do it orally, how often should I do it? Daily or a few times a week? I could just put it in his water too! He loves to drink! Next time I go to mine, I’m going to look for some! I hate I had to order his food but it’s the only option at the moment. 😞 but Amazon prime is pretty fast! I’m just going to give him a variety of foods until then, he’s not starving at least!
EDIT: I’m sorry I didn't mean to reply to two people at once!

Does your sweet duck have friends? They really need a flock of their own to be happy!
Well he has me, my family, and my cats 😅 and my chickens though they keep steering clear of him, I hope they may warm up to him eventually, I only let them interact under supervision btw! Someone abandoned him and we couldn’t stand by and watch him anymore. It’s a miracle something didn’t get him, he was loose for 3 nights as far as I know. There isn’t anyone trustworthy to take him in, so we are going to do the best we can to make him happy! We were basically the only ones willing to take him in 😢

Very kind of you to take him in
The B complex is 1ml best over treats as if in the water he won’t get the full dose
You can scramble eggs some of my ducks love it others don’t like it at all
I have given rice , macaroni , veggies ect
As treats but they would work as fill food till his feed gets in
If he is a boy you will have to watch that he doesn’t try to mate the chickens
Ducks get very lonely and a friend would be better if you could find one
The chickens are ok as are the human friends but we don’t play follow the leader like ducks do

Very kind of you to take him in
The B complex is 1ml best over treats as if in the water he won’t get the full dose
You can scramble eggs some of my ducks love it others don’t like it at all
I have given rice , macaroni , veggies ect
As treats but they would work as fill food till his feed gets in
If he is a boy you will have to watch that he doesn’t try to mate the chickens
Ducks get very lonely and a friend would be better if you could find one
The chickens are ok as are the human friends but we don’t play follow the leader like ducks do
Oh absolutely, I’ve been keeping them separated. Since he’s still new I don’t think he will pull anything, but I won’t take that for granted! Who knows maybe one day I can! I’ve had to raise chickens alone in the past, because they outlived their flock and it wasn’t chick season, so at least I gave some experience in keeping them company. Ironically my girls grew to like the solitude over time and didn’t like all these new whippersnapper chicks hanging around 🤣 it took them awhile to get used to a flock again

Give him the liquid B complex 1 ml 1X a day and you might have to do it for life since he is crested. But putting it on a treat means you can make sure he is getting full dose. If you put it in his water it is diluted and you have no way of knowing if he is getting full dose.
Keep the Liquid B complex in the frig it will last indefinitely.

Back
Top Bottom