Beginning A Rooster's Road to Recovery

Loving this story.

I also have an aggressive rooster and very tame hens. So this foot ball hold thing is something I will try. I normally pick up my roo (Bravo) and give him "love" when he's aggressive or approaches me. He hates the love time. Love is actually me just petting him and preening him and sometimes flipping him on his back for more cuddles. It really upsets him and he tries now to stay away from me haha. He's even learned when I say "gimme some love Bravo" to haul butt away as fast as he can.

Thank you.

I wouldn't say mine is aggressive. He's just new to me and my flock and we're all still getting to know each other. He does keep a healthy distance from us but I like to interact with my girls a lot more than he's comfortable with for now. We just have a lot of work ahead of us.

Sorry about "aggressive" I should have worded that differently. Bravo isn't one to chase you down either, like some truly aggressive roosters I've had. But if you get near his girls he does try to protect them and he tries to keep them away from me. He's a work in progress since he will not even take meal worms from my hand. His previous owner said she sold him because he was always attacking her..I only found out when I met her over turkeys that he came from her and why he was sold.

I wish you and Russell Crowe well on your journey :)

Sorry about "aggressive" I should have worded that differently. Bravo isn't one to chase you down either, like some truly aggressive roosters I've had. But if you get near his girls he does try to protect them and he tries to keep them away from me. He's a work in progress since he will not even take meal worms from my hand. His previous owner said she sold him because he was always attacking her..I only found out when I met her over turkeys that he came from her and why he was sold.

I wish you and Russell Crowe well on your journey :)

Oh thank you. :) His previous keepers said he was great with them and great with his girls. I think we all just need time to settle down and get used to each other. Many changes have taken place over the last month here amongst the flock between a dog raid and the loss of my enforcer ( hench-hen to my top gal who rules with nothing but a hard glare), to taking Russell in, followed by adding new girls. The girls are all integrating nicely but still divide up when Russell is out to mingle. They're used to having a rooster around (at their previous home) but my original girls have been very happy without one.

How nice of that woman to sell her problem off to someone else.
roll.png
Well wishes to you with your rooster too!

Lazy Gardener, I remember you advising me about herding my last rooster away from the girls and I've been doing that with this one and arming my babes with their child sized garden rakes to do the same (under supervision). He does move away but is getting increasingly reluctant in doing so. Last night he escaped his from his run was lurking around the big coop where all the girls who haven't accepted him go to roost (he had walked right by the open coop where Hola and her girls are staying). I herded him away and back into his own. This morning, I let all the girls out first, as usual and then my daughter and I gave them treats right in front of him (while he's still in his run). And they walked away from him when we did. He's good about keeping a healthy distance from us, it's him trying to hide the girls from me that bothers me. He sounds the predator alarm whenever he sees me now and they respond before the see who it really is and by the time they do, he won't let them come back. They've started ignoring his alarm when it's the dog; thankfully they've seen my original girls crowd around Willie very happily and have learned that he's not interested and will even give them a wide berth so as to not disturb their activities.

I'll have to psyche myself up for trying your football hold and head down method. I'm admittedly quite intimidated by those spurs.
hmm.png
I think your problems will be alleviated some what when you have the entire flock, including Russell under one roof. I assume that is your eventual goal. From his perspective, it's natural that he should want to add all the girls to his harem. I will tell you that I've not had Jack in a foot ball hold since he was a youngster. I've never had to step up to that level with him. And I can tell you that I would find it to be quite intimidating to do so. Those spurs can inflict a lot of damage.

I think your problems will be alleviated some what when you have the entire flock, including Russell under one roof. I assume that is your eventual goal. From his perspective, it's natural that he should want to add all the girls to his harem. I will tell you that I've not had Jack in a foot ball hold since he was a youngster. I've never had to step up to that level with him. And I can tell you that I would find it to be quite intimidating to do so. Those spurs can inflict a lot of damage.

Yes, the end goal is to have the whole flock under one roof. I'm starting with the girls. I moved the two most passive girls (Java and the SLW) to the big coop last night and was very pleased to see both still up on the roosts with everyone else when I opened the door this morning and sharing dishes with the rest peacefully during breakfast. I'll give them a couple of nights like this to make their adjustments before adding Hola and the other Dom who have a bit more attitude. Once all the girls are together, I'll finish the addition/remodel on the coop the new girls are using and then move everyone into it. It's all in sections to make assembly quite simple.

And that's just fine. As Aart said, attempting this with an adult bird would be risky. I hope I didn't leave the impression that I would do so with an adult bird. I've done so with young birds, up to 4 months old. Past that age, attitude gets them into the freezer. As a matter of fact, the only reason I keep a younger cockrel with attitude around is just so he can pack on a bit more size to make the trip to the freezer worth while.

Thank you for clarifying. I was under the impression that you do/have done this with adult birds. I'm glad to know you don't.

Aart's response alerted me to the fact that I needed to clarify. Thanks Aart!!! I don't think I'd be able to control Jack if I tried that with him. He's one big strong boy. If my herding stick doesn't keep him on his best behavior, I'll only be handling him once, and it will be the last time! Hope it doesn't ever come to that! But... just in case, I have a new generation coming along every year. And every year, there are several cockrels that give me reason to think... perhaps these boys would add a lot to the gene pool!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom