Beginning of the chicken coop and run

So we (Miranda, youngest daughter, & I), stopped by the feed store today to look around. The girl behind the counter looked at me kinda funny and that's when it hit me. She told me the last time I stopped in there to see what was going on that they were getting chicks in today. Uh oh !!!! Miranda heard them as soon as we walked in and went straight to them at around MACH 3. So after looking at them all and holding some, and petting some, and then holding some more, we came home with 6 cute, tiny, lovable chicks.
yippiechickie.gif
We got 2 RIR, 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte and 2 Araucanas. I had already bought everything for getting chicks, but I was waiting to oder ours with one of my cousins so we could meet the min. order limit. So Miranda gets all excited when MLW comes in the house and just has to take her down to the building to show her the chicks. Now this is were it gets funny:

MLW looks at them and right away says, "This will never work."
Me "What won't work?"
MLW " They're to small and to CUTE to leave them down here."
Me "So what are we supposed to do? Take them in the house?"
MLW " YOU'RE NOT LEAVING THEM DOWN HERE!!!! I don't care what you have to do, but they are coming inside the house, TONIGHT. Do you understand me?
Miranda "I told you Dad. You had better do what Mom wants."(BIG grin on face)

So twenty minutes later I have a Rubbermade tote, heat lamp, small waterer, small feed dish, and 6 chicks in the house next to MLW desk for work. Now you must remember, this doesn't bother me. I remember friends at my Grandparents who had chicks or baby rabbits in the "mudroom" off of the kitchen when they were starting to raise them. But, MLW is a total suburban woman. Was freaked out the first time I had here around cows, wouldn't go near pigs, stayed far away from our neighbors sheep, and was nervous when we were around the horses at a friends house.
So now we have the ultimate night light in the living room and I'll get a great nights sleep tonight because they are right out side of our bedroom door. I haven't slept near chcikens since I was a kid and I slept over at a friends house while visiting my Grandparents. But just like rain on a metal roof, I know that these little girls will have me asleep in no time and it will be a good nights sleep. I'll try to post pictures as soon as I figure out just what I did to our camera. I figured that everyone would get a good laugh out of reading this. Hope it worked.
Chris

Back
Top Bottom