Behavior after an attack?

yinzerchick

Songster
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
E.Texas
If there is an attack by a predator and a chicken is taken, will the chickens continue acting as if nothing happened? What if it's a rooster that is attacked? Will the hens just keep doing what they're doing while the roo gives his life to save them? I always thought they would at least be a bit frightened and act a bit afraid if they knew a predator was around. Any thoughts? Thanks

One of my Polish never recovered after she witnessed one of my chickens killed by a skunk. She laid an egg w/o a shell the next day and wouldn't come out of the coop unless I was sitting there with her. When I forced her out she'd go hide all day and I'd have to call her to come in. After about two weeks, one night I couldn't find her and I never found her again.

I posted this under predators, but this morning I had two coyote's try to take some of my girls that were right outside my house with my dog sitting there and me right inside. My rooster attacked, the dog attacked and I had to chase them to get them to go away. Had to lock everyone up all day and tonight my roo, who sleeps on top of the coop has chosen a new spot. I think he's positioned himself to view the spot where the coyote's came from.

Quote:
Yes, sometimes they just might. I don't know why -if it's about their individual personalities (just like different people handle things differently), or chickens' perceived lack of intelligence ("too stupid to understand"), or what could explain it.
Most recently, the one who was traumatized but survived still seems a little skittish sometimes. The rest of 'em don't seem affected.
Awhile back, after a deadly attack, I was convinced that the chickens I had at the time were seeing another chicken's ghost. (It could have been the scent of the predator in the coop, or chicken-PTSD, I really don't know)

I ask because tonight one of my roosters is missing.
hit.gif
He's a polish crested, so he doesn't see so good. He was the one who was always at the coop door rounding everyone up. I saw him out and about, then about an hour and a half later went in to close up the run and take a head count. I immediately saw he was missing from his roost. I can't find a trace of him anywhere, and nobody was acting strange in the least. I had been outside and didn't really hear any thing out of the ordinary either. I'm really, really, REALLY
fl.gif
hoping he just somehow got too far from the coop and it got dark, so he stayed put.

I have never shot an animal, and never thought I would... but I'm ready to start knocking off anything that comes poking around here with thoughts of a chicken dinner!
somad.gif

Quote:
I ran back in the house to grab the gun but we had kids staying with us this weekend so the guns were all in the safe but I'm ready for thier return and I'm praying that I can make a good shot. My husband will be back in town tomorrow so I hope he can do the dirty deed, but I do believe this is part of keeping chickens in the country....
idunno.gif

After a racoon (or I'm starting to think skunk) nabbed one of my hens, we didn't get any eggs for a few days. I think they were all pretty stressed. Things are starting to get back to normal now- it's been a few weeks.

Coyotes are one of the smartest predators around, it's open season on them 24/7. sounds like you definetly got one hanging around, maybe you could do alittle target practice so when the time comes you'll be ready...

Back
Top Bottom