Behavior question with my SLW chick

mamaschicks

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
East Bay Burbs, California
need some advice here...have an 8 week old silver laced wyandotte that is very skiddish and afraid. She will not let me pick her up, its just so frustrating because she is still in a brooder and needs to be put back in at night, etc. I can't even bribe her with treats to get close enough to grab her. My other 2 chicks are so sweet and let me pick them up anytime anywhere.

Is this a something she will grow out of?????

P.S. when I finally do grab her...I bring her into the house and talk softly to her and cuddle her for about an hour so she doesn't always think when I pick her up she will go back to the brooder, but I am still not convincing her to trust me!!!! I give her way more attention than the other two and it's still not working!!! Help!!!!!

Ya know, sometimes some of them just stay a little wild. My GLW is that way...with only 5 chicks (three years ago), they all got lots of attention, but she was always very skittish. Even today, she'll squat for me when I walk up to her or call her name a certain way (guess I'm top roo...lol), but she avoids being touched 99% of the time, while my others will jump up on my lap or shoulder if I'm sitting down.

I would just keep working with her anyway, so that even if she stays that way, she'll at least be used to being handled (despite not liking it) for if/when medical treatment is ever needed. I've had to give my skittish girl a bath before, and she was easily manageable because she has been handled a lot.

Your chick could outgrow it...many become friendlier when they get to the age of laying. I would suggest when you do handle her, to cuddle her for only a few minutes (until she stops squirming/acting like you're Jack the Ripper), then release her. Because if she is truly afraid, holding her for long periods may seem like punishment/torture. But if she learns that it'll be over soon, she may settle down more quickly. Just tossing out some ideas...

Last edited:
I have one of my six that does not like being held. If I'm mobbed by the rest with them all on my lap she will lay down at my feet but will run if I try to pick her up.

Back
Top Bottom