behavior question???

Quote:
Click on the forum that you want to post in. Then click on the upper right hand corner 'post new topic'.

Last edited:
So, I am having a similar problem with my Silkie rooster that is also 7 months old. He's been a great rooster up until about 2-3 weeks now. He's started attacking me (not my husband) and I'm the major care-giver to our flock. Every once in awhile he'll really get after the girls. I know the possibility is out there that I may have to cull him (gad) but I'm wondering if he is just going through a phase and if it is still too early to know that this is the kind of rooster he is always going to be now. Is he too young yet and I need to give him more time to settle down? I've tried several things that folks on this forum have suggested and it just hasn't seemed to make a difference in him.

It's not a phase. It's sexual maturity and you need to train him to respect the human or he will continue this action towards you and any other people who fear him, run from him, back away and flap their arms, etc.

You might want to visit a thread called "I got flogged by a rooster tonight" for some more effective techniques to handle your roo. You do not have to cull him if you use the right training.

Beekissed.....thanks for your post. I've actually been visiting "got flogged by a rooster" since the problem started with my rooster and while I've gotten a lot of information there, that thread has also taken off on many tangents and I just don't have the time to sift through all of that stuff. I've tried many of the things they've suggested there (boot in the chest, boot in the rear (was afraid I hurt the rooster) flapping my arms, picking up my rooster....etc., etc. and now when I go into the compound I'm taking a broom with me and if he decides to attack he will get the soft end of the broom in the butt.....although he seems to be intimidated by the broom and I know that can be a good thing. I'm taking it with me every time I go to the chickens so that I'm consistent but what a pain. I'm hoping it will change him and we can be done with this. The problem has also been though in doing this.....the hens are also intimidated by the broom and run when I go into the compound
sad.png
. One day at a time right? Thanks again.

Yep...that's all we can hope for!

Have you tried the surprise and stalk method? Doesn't really require using the stick much but really keeps your roo avoiding you like the plague. It sort of turns the tables on the poor thing and YOU become the aggressor and he becomes the creature constantly looking over his shoulder when you are near. This method doesn't make your hens nervous at all but the roo will often leave the coop or close vicinity when you are there because he doesn't like you looming over him, randomly surprising him when he least expects it, etc.

Thought I would give an update... Miss our roo's noise but not the stress in the coop. It has been a couple weeks without him and the girls are MUCH more calm. occasionally there will be a squabble but not the intesity or frequency as when the roo was there. I believe now he was a huge source of stress for the girls (and myself) sad it had to end this way but....
Also my girls are still laying the same as before which is good.

thanks for all your advice.

Back
Top Bottom