Behavior with wings

keyt1969

Songster
9 Years
Aug 17, 2010
Eaton Rapids, Michigan
I have only been a duck owner since August. I began with 3 call ducklings, then someone gave me 2 older cayugas, I bought another call right after that then the person who I got the cayugas also gave me a runner.

It wasn't until I got this runner a few days ago that I started noticing a behavior from all of them that I'd think would have a reason: flapping their wings really fast for 10 seconds or more.

Is it a mating thing or something? It's odd that I didn't notice it until the runner got here. The previous owner had to let him go because he was chasing the female chickens and trying to mate with them. My ducks aren't with the chickens all day, only at night in the barn so I haven't seen him act that way. He doesn't even bother the female ducks!

Any ideas?

Mine flap when they get out of the pond.

Sometimes they flap hard enough to hover a few inches right over the spot they are standing on. Looks cute.

I've seen wild birds do this, too, not just ducks. Sometimes, I think it's to cool themselves, or maybe "stretch their wings". There may be some social aspect to it, too, but I'm not sure about it.

Will not cool bird doing flapping but it can have communication value. In chickens, shallow flaps with strokes well behind back is act of submission. Powerful exaggerated flaps that make popping sound and done just prior to crowing is signal advertising strength.

I figured it was something like this. Thanks for all the answers. It is cute! Especially when my calls do it! All their wings are clipped so they won't go anywhere but they get on their tiptoes like they're about to take off!

My mallards did this and they were pretty cute getting up on their tip toes with almost a lift off!
lol.png

I love it when my babies do this. 1 will stand on her tippy toes and flap then they all start doing in and run round the yard flapping those wings. They stop for a rest and chat about what they just done then its off again for another round of the yard. Its so funnto to watch the runners, light and agile, with poor fat butt Sly the Jumbo Pekin taking up the rear 20 feet behind trying her waddling hardest to keep up with them

Back
Top Bottom