Behaviors of Silver Gray Dorkings

Thank you, alot of good information in that comment.

I hope my husband waits till the younger kids are a little older to get a roo
wink.png

Wendy

Every rooster is an individual. I have had roosters that lived long lives as gentle beings and others that for no obvious reason became aggressive attack birds. We just lost an 8 year old buff rock that was the nicest bird in my flock. I have had New Hampshires and black Minorcas that were really nice and others that would jump you when you went into the yard. The worst tempered rooster I ever remember was a huge barred rock that attacked cars that came onto it's property. Other barred rocks I have known have been real gentlemen. I don't know if there is any way to predict this behavior and I, unfortunately, don't know of any way to manage or stop it once it has begun. We don't eat the roosters so when one does "go bad" it is quite a job finding a proper home for it. I don't know if I have been much help for you but I did have 2 silver grey dorking males and both were very good natured.

My son is now 5 but has been around roosters since birth. He loves the roos. But he handels them a lot too. They might not want to be caught and messed with, but too bad for them. I also handel them a lot too. I catch them to check for bugs, trim toe nails and spurs and just to make sure they know they are not the boss.
I have only had one mean roo here and he was older when I got him. He belonged to a friend of mine and she could no longer have chickens. He was a bad one and mean to her kids also. I re-homed him to a lady who had no kids and didn't seem to are about his attitude.

Back
Top Bottom