Behaviour question

Blodwyn0419

Chirping
Jul 6, 2022
Australia
Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on some behaviour my pigeons are showing, Kind of seen it before, but under different circumstances.

I raised 2 pigeons not long ago, they are about 5 months old now. Their dad passed away and I was helping mum with top up feeds, but after a few days she gave up as hubby was not returning, so I took over.

Very happy birds, male and a female, Ruffles and Muffin.

They get so excited to see me when I come in, their turf is the door and it does make it hard to get in at times. If I am in the chook pen (pigeon coop is inside the chook run) doing maintenance they follow me, coming to the wire and wanting attention, which I of course give them.

Funny thing is, while they are happy to see me, they respond by pecking and yelling at me, wing twitching and head bowing, like they do in a fight.

If their older sibling, who I also hand raised comes to me (she was oddly aloof when I released her with the big pigeons and wasn't my friend for a bit), they all get in a yelling match over me.

I find it funny as it is proper sibling squabbles, so it is quite comical to watch, it isn't a brutal fight, just yelling and wing slaps.

I've been pondering why they are showing me love in an aggressive way, though? Anyone had this? Are they both trying to claim me and mad I am not choosing just one? 🤣

Any ideas?

Hi there. I really have no idea, our pigeons were friendly and tame, but they didn’t love me like your obviously do.

Maybe it is simply sibling rivalry, you’re the parent. Are they fully on their own, no more feeding? I did hav a juvenile that seemed to be fed by mom and dad well after the others and they accepted it and did it.

Yes, never had this in this circumstance. I have had birds who were bored on the nest and loved me coming and giving them my hand to peck or playing a game of where my hand would pop up. You could see they loved the "puzzle" of where it would pop up next. Their little wings wound twitch and they would duck down in anticipation and if I took too long they would yell at me like "HURRY UP!"

Yes, Ben solo for months now.

This has been odd. But I don't hate it. Just curious. 😊
Hi there. I really have no idea, our pigeons were friendly and tame, but they didn’t love me like your obviously do.

Maybe it is simply sibling rivalry, you’re the parent. Are they fully on their own, no more feeding? I did hav a juvenile that seemed to be fed by mom and dad well after the others and they accepted it and did it.

Sounds typical of youngsters lol. I had to handfeed a few, then once they could fly, I introduced them to the loft, in a section with plenty of other youngsters to bond with. Whenever I'm there, they land on me, play with my hair, peck at my ponytail & barrettes. They also get jealous of eachother, knocking eachother off of my shoulder, and also act out when I reach to pet them, it makes me laugh. So I've had cooing & gentle pecking, preening my hair & pigeon kissing my ear turn into wing slapping & hard pecks, not that it does any real damage, it actually makes me laugh. Enjoy the interaction now, because it will subside. Many adult pigeons still land on me but they no longer try to mate with my ponytail, knock my glasses off or try to peck my barrettes out. Lol
20230717_121915.jpg
Screenshot_20230717_170407_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230717_170325_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230717_170700_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230717_170500_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230717_171214_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230717_171230_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230717_171802_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230717_171741_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230717_171831_Gallery.jpg

Back
Top Bottom