behaviour

Foxy and her chicks

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2020
Devon England
My chickens have been sat down like this I’ve noticed during the day . They got lots of free roam in the garden and then stay in their new run for the rest of the time . Just curious thats all . :)) is this normal behaviour?

Attachments

• 061B1BB4-C6A6-4EF2-BBDB-BAEEC7E8C971.jpeg
    061B1BB4-C6A6-4EF2-BBDB-BAEEC7E8C971.jpeg
    691.9 KB · Views: 10
Looks like a good place for the hens to sit down and have a chat about where the best dustbathing spots are, or which rooster looks the handsomest. Maybe they just like that corner.
They look relaxed to me, and it's right next to the feeder. A place I'd definitely stay near if I was a chicken.

Looks like a good place for the hens to sit down and have a chat about where the best dustbathing spots are, or which rooster looks the handsomest. Maybe they just like that corner.
They look relaxed to me, and it's right next to the feeder. A place I'd definitely stay near if I was a chicken.
Ok thank you . Just curious as I didn’t want them getting bored .

Totally normal. It's part of a survival instinct from before chickens were domesticated. They were vulnerable to predators when they were foraging for food so they would fill up their crop and then retire to some place safer to digest it before risking going out again to eat. They obviously feel safe there.

Totally normal. It's part of a survival instinct from before chickens were domesticated. They were vulnerable to predators when they were foraging for food so they would fill up their crop and then retire to some place safer to digest it before risking going out again to eat. They obviously feel safe there.
I’m glad they feel safe there as we moved them into a new run so didn’t want any of them being stressed . Thanks for the feedback

Back
Top Bottom