1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Beheaded Duck

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Massey, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Massey

Massey Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    So went out to put in my free ranging ducks and only 3 out of 5 were in their enclosed pen ready for the door to be shut,

After a short search I found the khaki Campbell beheaded but body was unmarked,

I then looked a bit more and found my Aylesbury, it is a younger bird then the khaki but much bigger and the neck was half chewed through but whatever killed it couldn't get it off,

I suspect this was a weasel as I don't have racions in Ireland, it could have been mink or a ferret either but they are all pretty much the same type of animal,

I have locked my 3 remaining ducks in and my chickens, and I've set a live cage, as horrible as it was I used the Aylesbury's head to bait the trap,

So anyone with any other ideas of what attacked my ducks, I'm really guessing weasels,

If it was a weasel how many should I expect in the area,

And anymore advice would be great,

Thanks all

2. Massey

May 1, 2014
    Ok so I did a little research and we don't have weasels in Ireland we have the Irish Stout or mink are the two most likely culprits,

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd say either of those they may not be able to carry them off but they sure can kill. Mink I am familiar with, awful killers. they go for the neck.

I looked up Irish Stout and Beer pics came up. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I think the OP meant stoat, looks just like a little brown weasel. I've had weasel and mink attacks, and they've never chewed or ripped off any heads. They more just seemed to have sucked out the blood, leaving the carcass really flat looking. Do you all have owls there? They still wouldn't be my first suspect, but its possible. I've read you've got a pretty high feral cat population too, they may be responsible for the beheadings, but that could be iffy too.

Sorry, I'm not much help, just throwing some stuff out there!

5. roosterhavoc

roosterhavoc Overrun With Chickens

Jan 5, 2012
    Fox will take off their heads too.

6. Massey

May 1, 2014
    Thanks for the input folks, yeah I'm beginning to lean towards fox myself,

7. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Foxes usually take birds with them. Decapitation always sounds like owls to me.

8. Massey

May 1, 2014
    The damage that was done here I don't think it was an owl, not sure we have owls that big here,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by