1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Being Cranky

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tmulleady, Jul 27, 2014.

1. tmulleady

tmulleady Chirping

Apr 13, 2014
    Southwest Missouri
    Got kind of a crazy question.LOL Now don't laugh at me for this one, be kind I am a newbie [​IMG] My chicks are 16 weeks now and I think a couple of them might be getting ready to give me some breakfast. They both have gotten the darker color crown, etc. but the thing I am not sure about is how they are behaving. My new Hampshire Red is being a little temper-mental, but my Buff Orpington is acting like she is suffering from a BAD case of PMS! She is suddenly chasing the dog (who doesn't bother them), has pecked at us, and is just cranky! Is that normal behavior as they get near laying age or am I going to have to follow through on my threats to throw her in the cooking pot? (Not serious my son would never forgive me) Any feedback would be appreciated and is it okay to give her Midol?? [​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road 5 Years

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    No midol! Are you sure she is a she?????? I find that my pullets become more friendly and talkative when they are getting close to laying that first egg.

3. tmulleady

tmulleady Chirping

Apr 13, 2014
    Southwest Missouri
    Well that is what they told me at the feed store where I bought her :) They all are very talkative and friendly as a general rule, just the last week or so Portia has been a bit tempermental. Maybe its the heat or something because they all seem healthy and happy and love it when I repeat the sounds they make to me. My neighbors must think I am insane! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: