Belgian Bearded D'Uccle: How Old??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by my sunwolf, Sep 18, 2012.

1. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Just adopted this Belgian D'Uccle, about how old does it look? And does this bird look more like a cockerel or pullet? Thanks for the help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

She looks at least 8 weeks old. Definitely young. I'm going to guess 10 weeks.

:) Very cute!

3. aoxa

Oh and it looks like a pullet.

4. my sunwolf

Thank you!! I've never had a bantam and I have no idea about sizes and maturity, not to mention I'm unfamiliar with the breed. The man selling her said he didn't know how old she was and guessed 6 months and that she was a hen. I've been feeding her layer feed [​IMG] Ahhhhhhh I just hope those kidneys hold out until I snag some baby food [​IMG]

5. aoxa

I've had only one of these D'Uccles and it was a boy and 8 weeks old when I got him. He was maybe the same maturity as your own, but the comb was very pink and much bigger. [​IMG] Here is a comparison when he was 10 weeks old for you to check out. That's where I base my guess on. Is she not still making baby sounds? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  6. my sunwolf

She is, I'm just stupid [​IMG] I had a boy who made baby sounds up until the day I put him in the freezer at 4 months and I thought she a slow developer like him. Her name is Cheeto and from your pics, she definitely looks like a pullet and only 8 weeks old [​IMG]

7. aoxa

My boy was named Naco. Would have been perfect for Cheeto's mate :lol:

Unfortunately he died not long after we got him.

8. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    they get combs early so you would more than likely know a roo. I would say yours is around 3 months. Very sweet birds. Will get more spots as she gets older! But from my experience, they are later egg layers. Mine is 6 months and not close yet!

9. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

I think pullet, and shes beautiful! I really want one but i think my dad would kill me if i got any more bantams!!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by