Benchmarks for baby chicks - #weeks to first feathers, etc.....?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by peacebird, Sep 5, 2007.

1. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    Just wondering what the averages are... my chicks are being raised by their mommas. They have started putting out white wing feathers and their heads no longer resemble pompom balls... When can I expect full feathers? Their true colors? etc?

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, here's what I remember...

1 week: wing primaries and tail feathers

2 weeks: wings half feathered, tail longer

3 weeks: wings fully feathered, feathers starting to form stripes down either side of the chest and down the back. Early developing cockerels will stat to show a slighty larger comb and thicker legs.

4 weeks: Stripes spreading on chest and back and neck.

5 weeks: feathers sprouting out all over.

6 weeks: fully feathered, little bit of down still on the head. Shiney cockerel feathers start to show up in the early developing males.

7 weeks on: Nothing is predictable, they develop individually.

6-9 months: Laying starts, true colors are pretty much shown, although full maturity will take at least a year in most cases.

This is based on my experience with standard to large breed chicks. Light breeds and Silkies develop differently. [​IMG]

3. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    My Thread
    If you missed it, your question is the reason for my thread.

4. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    Thank you both! We are at two weeks and the only color feathers my peeps have so far is white.... It is reassuring to know what the normal progression from fluffball to chicken is, especially since this is our first batch of peeps. [​IMG]

The cochins seem to be doing a fine job as momma hens to the babies tho!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by