Bend, Oregon Questions

sedodge

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 15, 2008
Hi,

I'm a newbie chicken owner in Bend, Oregon - I have some questions about how winter-proof I need to make my coop. I've got 3 hens on the westside. All tips, pointers, suggestions very welcome! Also, does anyone know where I can get organic grower food in Bend?

Many thanks!!!

Sara

I used to live in Bend for several years. It will get cold there (sometimes down around -20 or so) in the winter. Sub zero weather generally doesn't last too long though. Being on the East of the Cascades you will have some snow, but nothing like the West side. Expect snow, sometimes up to 1-2 feet at once. Still the deepest we ever had it was maybe 3-4 feet of accumulation. I am jealous, we miss Oregon and the fishing in the Bend area. Good luck.

Hey Sara,
There is another guy in Bend that is just getting into chickens right now also. I think his name is Chris and his screen name is Aircraftmech.
He may be able to steer you in some directions to other more experienced chicken owners in your area for help too.

Jayare

Hi Sara and
welcome-byc.gif
For the organic food, I would goto your local Farmer's Market and start talking to people there. As for "winterizing" your coop, I think putting in a bale of hay (if your coop is small) at the bottom of your coop and making sure there is a heat lamp/heat source out there, they'll be fine.
ya.gif

I don't live in Bend anymore, but even in the Valley I put a heat lamp out for my girls. Works out really well on super cold nights.
smile.png

I live in Central Oregon, and my plan for the winter is a heat lamp in the coop. Just be careful - every year fires happen when people don't secure the heat lamp. The clamp-style lamps are easily knocked over, too. I use 2 chains to keep the heat lamp in place. The chain is then screwed to the ceiling of the coop.

The other suggestion is for placement of the coop. Most of our winter wind is from the north or south, very seldom from the east. I placed my coop so that the garage shields it from southern winds, and the solid sides of the coop protect the run from north winds.

Good Luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom