Benefits to a Roo?

julnjake

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 20, 2011
SW PA
I rescued 20 chickens 2 weeks ago, I *believe* ranging in ages from 2 or 3 yrs old to 4-5 months old...... I also *believe* there are no Roos, there's definitely no crowing. There is one that is taller than the other birds and he/she mounts two of my hens, but only those 2....... Is there a benefit to getting a roo? My chickens are free range and unless I put 6lbs or more of layer out for them during the day they do tend to wander toward the neighbor's and the road, I've heard a roo may keep them more contained? Although if the food is out they stay pretty close to the coop. Right now I'm just in it for the eggs (and I enjoy having them as pets even though they aren't real tame) with no interest in raising chicks with the exception of thinking in the distant future it would be nice to hatch a chick (or a few if just hatching one at a time is bad) for the kids to experience. I may also like to get into having some meat chickens.

So should I consider a Roo? Or when the kids are ready to benefit from the hatching experience just buy some fertilized eggs? You can do that right? I'm new to this! But don't worry I won't jump into anything (more, lol) without proper info and preparedness. I also would be concerned about introducing new chicks to my flock..... As of now I think 19 chickens are plenty and that's what we're building the coop to house (they came with a "coop" but its basically 13 enclosed nesting boxes so we're building them a new coop), don't want to overcrowd so it will be awhile before I add anymore birds.

Thanks!

Here's a pic of the remotely possible roo, but I doubt it is.... any thoughts? The dark one standing

P1030094.jpg

If you get a roo it is a lot of fun to hatch out mixes and see what they grow into. that is if you have the space. If you have enough hens of the same breed of roo you get you can sell your hatches, and get some money to pay for feed and have a self sustaining flock!(other than selling eggs) I have also noticed my roo keeps the girls closer to the house, since he can't travel far do to his lack of toes!
ep.gif

Last edited:
A good roo will protect the flock,and alert if he sees a predator.He will stop major fighting among the hens. Some roos however can be mean to YOU and to the hens.Some hens get a bare back from so much sex. If my chickens were not fenced in I think they would go all over. I would recommend a temp fence with plastic fencing,bamboo poles,and zip ties.Easy to put up and take down.

For fertile eggs I have read of people buying them from organic food stores like trader joes. I am sure there are fellow BYC members that would sell or give eggs.

For roo id the only thing I recall is saddle feathers. I would just wait and see how things work out. It is a concern that the chicken mounts only 2 hens.They might need those covers. I have a bare back hen. I lkie having a roo,but I will probably not replace him if he dies. The kids however want to hatch some fertile eggs if he does die!

So nice of you to rescue all those chickens!

i have one rooster, he protects all the flock including the ducks. he is a heavy beauty. crows only in the early mornings, as a rooster would normally do. he only crows when theres danger. if your town/county etc. allows to keep a rooster, do it. just imo.

I started with chickens last year...was never intrested in getting a Roo...did not think I needed one and had no intrest in hatching my own eggs...that is until this past winter when I rescued 17 baby chicks left outside in a box...they were all roo's. I found homes for all of them and kept one...not sure if I really wanted to keep him. Mr Russell has turned out to be a great addition to our family. He saved my ladies from a fox attack a few months back and he keeps the girls in line when needed...when I do allow them free range time..he keeps a very watchful eye out and warns them of any and all danger..he makes sure they get all the good treats first and always shares the good finds. When one of my hens was hurt with a leg injury..he kept by her side and would not allow any of the other hens to pick on her! The only advice I would have-based on my own mistake-is to read up on how to handle a Roo...I thought spoiling him...feeding him by hand and holding him would turn him him into a baby and he would be gentle. Nope...turns out you have to handle them as they are..a male rooster who needs to know his boundries...but yes I would get a Roo..I would never be without one now!! If you do not want to hatch the eggs..just collect them daily..but hatching them would be great for your children to be involved in! Good luck and
welcome-byc.gif

Like Jenni's, my roo really watches over the flock, breaks up fights, and looks out for the girls in general, offering treats and checking out the safety of everything. The pullets look to him for security and cluster under him. I raised mine as a pet but then successfully used the rooster handling techniques on BYC to manage the aggression. I suspect there are many already proven-good adult roos out there who deserve and need a good home. But I'd thoroughly explore any possible issues with children. My roo, although very good around me, will aggressively defend his space against anything strange or new.

Quote:
That's my next question, where or what to look for? I know I've seen lots on Craigslist but I wondered what age or any other specifics to look for? My girls are RIR's, 3 EE's, Leghorns, & 2 Mixed Breeds. Should I get a baby, teen, adult, old man? lol

Thanks so much guys!
Juli

Back
Top Bottom