bent legged chick hatched, what to do?

BikerBabeRules

Songster
11 Years
Feb 13, 2008
Vermont, USA
I had a chick hatch this morning with it's left left tucked up to it's body. I'm able to gently slide it down, but when i let go, it boings right back up. When he walks, it's tucked up and he drags on his one leg, kind of hopping to get where he needs to go. I've never had one do this, will it straighten itself out? I'll give it time, I won't do anything till I hear back from someone. Is it possible he sprained a muscle pipping out? I can spread his toes out with my fingers but they got right back in curled up position.
hmm.png

Maybe they will uncurl with time. It's amazing how squished they are inside that egg. I am a newbie to the whole chick thing but I know I read somewhere on these forums that someone had a similar problem and did something like "taping" the leg to straighten it.

I am not sure so I wouldn't go doing that before someone with more knowledge chimes in but maybe you could do a forum search and find the thread.

Good luck with your baby
smile.png

Is it just the toes or is it the leg?If it's just the toes I would give it a little time and they may straighten out without help.If it's the leg then the sooner you get it straightened out the better chance of recovery he will have.

Back
Top Bottom