Bent Legs

armyspouse40

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 9, 2014
Hello everyone I am new to BYC and of course I have a question. I am very new to the raising chicken world and I have my first group of chickens. I made it through the first 9 weeks and all my chickens are doing well except one.
I have a small Plymouth Rock that is much smaller than the others. She also has issues with her legs and I have been searching for any knowledge as to why. Her legs almost appear deformed. She is able to walk but only for a few steps or two. She primarily lays down and sticks her legs outward. When I look at the other chickens this one's legs are much smaller in size and appear more bent than the others. She eats well and goes out in the chicken run but is always laying down. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing and if so please let me know if there is anything I can do for her.
Melanie

Hello, I am new too, sound like we have the same issue going on. I posted pictures. Does your chicken's legs look similar to mine?

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry to hear about your hen! I'm not quite sure what could be wrong. It could be a genetic defect or something. I advise posting about it in the Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries/Cures section of these forums.

Here is a link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry about your bird. Definitely post this in our emergency section. Wyandottes has left you with the link.

I don't think there is much you can do for her. Some birds can over come their disabilities and go on to live normal lives. And some cannot. So time will tell. If at any time the bird is not living a quality life, you may need to put her down. I hope she learns to live with this and lives a nice long life. :)

It would help greatly if you would put up photos showing her legs. There are many ways legs can be crooked or deformed, or just need some hobbles or bracing but, without a picture we just don't know.

Back
Top Bottom