Bent neck on new duckling

sashacat

Songster
10 Years
Sep 7, 2011
Had an Ancona ducking hatch overnight. It’s all fluffed out, but it’s neck is bent so far back it always has its bill pointed straight up. Never had one like this before. I put the eggs in the incubator about 3 days ago, after mama abandoned the nest for a few days. I suppose they got chilled. Not sure what to do. If he tips Over he can’t get back up. Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• 38449E91-9E21-4A02-9D9D-5FBA0AE246A0.jpeg
    38449E91-9E21-4A02-9D9D-5FBA0AE246A0.jpeg
    534.4 KB · Views: 17
Sorry to hear about your duckling! :hugs

From the picture, I'd think either a malposition abnormality that went on during hatch or wry neck (stargazing) which can be caused by a few things ( Neurological damage, vitamin deficiency in either thiamine or E, viral or bacterial infection, or toxin ingestion).

I'd start by offering nutritional support in the form of a high strength poultry vitamin and see if she improves at all. Look for one high in thiamine and vitamin E, administer a few drops onto the side of her bill, or dip her bill in the liquid for a fraction of second several times throughout the day(maybe only once today since she is so young). You can also offer her mashed scrambled eggs for protein.

Be careful administering fluids to birds this young, they aspirate very easily.

If this is nutritionally related, improvement is usually rapid and can sometimes be seen within a few hours especially with young ducklings.

How does her abdomen look?

Hi, there! :frow

Just checking in to see how your bird is doing. Updates to these type of threads are quite useful for people in the future experiencing the same problem.

Had an Ancona ducking hatch overnight. It’s all fluffed out, but it’s neck is bent so far back it always has its bill pointed straight up. Never had one like this before. I put the eggs in the incubator about 3 days ago, after mama abandoned the nest for a few days. I suppose they got chilled. Not sure what to do. If he tips Over he can’t get back up. Any advice appreciated.
I have a question!

Back
Top Bottom