Bent toe on 3-week-old chick

TXChookstead

Songster
Sep 16, 2021
East Texas
I just noticed this little one's toe a couple of days ago. It must have happened recently, because I can't remember seeing any problems earlier.

It almost looks broken, but the chick isn't favoring it.

Is there anything I can do at this point, or should I not worry about it?

I have 12 chicks in just over 9 sq feet, which I know is too small -- so it's possible that overcrowding had something to do with it (or maybe just running into something when startled?) Six are staying with us longer than initially planned, so I am going to have to make adjustments accordingly (maybe finding another brooder and separating them into two flocks?).

Hmm... Open to words of wisdom.

Adding that most of the brooder has wood shavings in it, though I think I will switch to construction sand today. This little one is on top of the brooder plate, the only place that has paper on it. (They LOVE sitting on top of that thing, and it sort of ups the useable square footage in there by about 1.5 feet.) We haven't had any splay leg issues.

Attachments

• 0219220902.jpg
    0219220902.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 84
  • 0219220902a~2.jpg
    0219220902a~2.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Some crooked toes can be fixed in the first week of life with a shoe made of tape on the bottom and top of the foot. At this late time, it may be too late or painful for that. It doesn’t look very bad to me, and I have had a few who had this common birth defect and lived normal lives. Crooked toes can be a result of temperature fluctuations during incubation or heredity. Here is an example of a shoe for crooked toes:
https://www.mypetchicken.com/backya...-toes-are-all-curled-up-whats-wrong-H293.aspx

We have repaired/ fixed curling toes in a much older chick. We used yogurt lid as splint. Put chick foot on it, trace with pencil or pen and cut out, smooth edges. Place foot on splint, gently wrap each toe with first aide tape, secure but not super tight obviously. We left end of toe visible from the tape, so we didn't wrap the entire toe up, just enough to keep the splint on the foot and the toe secure. Im actually about to splint a grown chicken's foot who has a broken toe. I'll send a pic. :)

Sorry just looked at picture. That looks broken and is exactly what i'm doing today. I would splint it! You'll have to replace the splint every couple days, it'll get filthy. Btw, it's definitely a two person job and you'll want to be careful with the toe when you remove tape, so you don't pull/re-injure it.

Don't feel guilty, these birds just get sick and injured ... its just the reality! Im sure you're doing a great job. Cute chick!!

Thank you so much! I'll get a splint on it ASAP. I have a kiddo interested in learning to be a vet tech, so this will be right up his alley. Now to round up the tape and a strip of yogurt container lid....

Ok, she's bandaged up. I couldn't find any medical tape quickly so used the ends of the more stretchy-type band-aids along with a strip of yogurt lid (rounded both ends slightly). It doesn't look quite straight enough in the photo, now that I look at it, but it is better. Is there anything else that would help?

She didn't like the process one bit, and is now peeping and looking down as if asking, "What on earth did you do to my foot?" But hopefully it will mend OK.

Attachments

• 0219221158b~3.jpg
    0219221158b~3.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 72
Good job! Sorry, I should have clarified that you want the foot on the splint too, not just the toe ... it helps prevent the toe from rolling left/ right inside the tape and keeps the splint straight/firm. You can do that next time unless you dont like the angle the toe is sitting. I recall sort of using the tape to stick to toe, roll the toe gently into its straight position, attached tape so it holds it there. It's tiny chicken feet and so very finicky!

here is a ridiculous drawing to illustrate if you did all three toes.... your 'sandal' doesnt have to include all three toes.

i just splinted my rescue chicken's toe and she's pecking it, not loving it. Mine's a bit different because definitely broken right in the joint area of the middle toe and the end of the foot bone. Anyway...She'll get used to it. Entice her with a treat :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220219-163345_Squid.jpg
    Screenshot_20220219-163345_Squid.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 66
  • 16453173616903717125345018046229.jpg
    16453173616903717125345018046229.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 50
Oh, and brilliant on using bandaides! You're a true chicken vet when you improvise! I just used a canning lid as my splint, needed bendable metal but small ... scissors cut right through it no problem! Your chicks toe looks great compared to previous. Just add the sandal next time, don't fret today!

Thank you so much for the drawing! That is really helpful. We redid her foot tonight. The toe looked much better than before, and now she is wearing a sandal. Any idea how long we should keep it splinted?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom