Bereft…the tears just won’t stop.

FBMcrazy8:

You must have been … I don’t know, absolutely beside yourself with disappointment and self recrimination.

Honestly. my heart goes out to you.

I was chatting with my sister earlier this evening about the problem; she used to live on a Hereford ranch in Montana. They had a serious problem with domestic dogs (think pet) that would get after the cattle, especially when calves were small. Very sad to say the S-S-S rule was strictly enforced. As one radio announcer in the area said, what do you think your pet gets up to when you let them outside on your way to work? Play bridge?

Honestly, I think it was the puppy, this time. Regardless, last time she will be out unsupervised.

Almost forgot: many thanks for your kind words.
It was for sure I sight I never wish to see again. It was honestly horrific. My kids unfortunately walked into it when we got home and seen it all. I think that was one of the worst things for me. And I know a lot of ppl may not agree with my decision but with a heavy heart I gave her away. She was my baby and really only liked me. I’m sure it didn’t help that for the first 6 months of her life she didn’t have human interaction. Though I can’t be sure. But I had to make this kind of decision for not just the best of my future animals but for the best of my neighbors. She was becoming the escape artist and was taking off. We don’t have anyone that lives on top of us but we do have neighbors that have chickens and the last thing I wanted was for her to get ahold of someone else’s chicken and they put a pullet in her head.

Just like in Montana. My sister lived out there for a while and there was a place not too far from her that the man that owned some property would shot dogs that went on the property. Regardless if they were causing harm or not. Didn’t matter the breed or anything. If it was on his property, you can consider your dog dead. It’s a sad truth, but unfortunately that is the way it is with some people. And everyone has a right to protect their property. But I couldn’t let that happen to her. And then neighbors around here would shot her without blinking an eye. I loved that dog but I couldn’t let her continue to kill my other animals or neighbors animals.

It honestly would have been one thing for her to have killed maybe 2. But she didn’t. All the chicks heads were off. She had to of eaten 2 of their bodies. Not all of the ducks heads were off but more than half was. It was a blood bath.

We still have our Rottweiler who is just the sweetest and has NEVER shown to give any attention to the chickens. She will watch them but is interested in getting them. I mean this dog COULD jump a baby gate if she wanted too, she isn’t that fat, but she won’t. She’s too lazy and only 2. But we will be keeping an eye on her anyway and continue to take the precautions we did with her and the other dog.

We were going to be putting electric fence around the chicken run and duck run before this happened…and we will still be doing that. Because even if the Rottweiler doesn’t try to get to the ducks and chickens, it will help with other predators.

I really hope your chicken gets better. That looks really bad from the picture. But she seems to be acting ok so that is a REALLY good sign. I hope you can keep your puppy from harming anymore of them. But it sounds like you have a great plan!

Hey, what camera did you buy?
I know you weren’t talking to me, but this is one I have. I can access it on my phone and/or a tv/monitor. It works great and has great night vision. There are other options out there, but this is what fit my needs when I got it.

I don’t have it currently set up but I’m kinda glad about that cause I don’t want to relive what I came home to. But when I get new ducks I will have them set up by then to see the ducks and chickens. We used it in a house before moving to the country this last year.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MP57IOY?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-20 at 23-17-34 Amazon.com Tasco 8 MP Megapixel Tan Game Trail Camera Low Gl...png
    Screenshot 2022-08-20 at 23-17-34 Amazon.com Tasco 8 MP Megapixel Tan Game Trail Camera Low Gl...png
    330.3 KB · Views: 6
August 2022.

Can’t get any worse.

Lost my beautiful beautiful beautiful SLO rooster. Injured defending his girls. I tried everything to nurse him back to health, but he didn’t make it.

Lost my job after working at the same place for 12 years (redundant.)

Today, I lost another SLO, during the day. Called everyone to come in… and she wasn’t anywhere.

My heart is just broken.

These are daylight murders and I need some help trying to figure out what is killing them. And how to kill the predator.

Ideas?
I'm so sorry for your losses. hugs.:hugs

August 2022.

Can’t get any worse.

Lost my beautiful beautiful beautiful SLO rooster. Injured defending his girls. I tried everything to nurse him back to health, but he didn’t make it.

Lost my job after working at the same place for 12 years (redundant.)

Today, I lost another SLO, during the day. Called everyone to come in… and she wasn’t anywhere.

My heart is just broken.

These are daylight murders and I need some help trying to figure out what is killing them. And how to kill the predator.

Ideas?
It could be a neighbor's dog, foxes, or even a big, mean cat or any larger wild animal. Good for your rooster protecting his hens. I love roosters for that. Death is part of letting them live happily as they free range. If you have a good, gentle big dog who won't hurt or kill your birds, it will help protect your flock. Let it mark the area around your bird's roaming area. Take it out daily, several times a day to patrol. My Rottweiler/ blue healer cross chases away the foxes amd I havent seen any lately. My birds are coming back at night, too, as far as I can tell (I have 44 and they're hard to count.) Just make sure any protector dog is trustworthy because they can kill em too.
A man can mark your territory, too. If you find any kind of wild animal den, have him pee in it. Foxes usually leave after that.

Back
Top Bottom