Berryville/clarke county poultry auction

SteveandJayneO

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 10, 2009
Harpers Ferry Wv
Does or has anyone ever been to this auction? Usually it's a seymour auction but this one is a Mike's auction.
Just curious before I go down on Sunday.

FYI Clarke county fairgrounds poultry and small animal auction, consignment from 7-2, auction starts at 2 pm.

HI there, I used to live in Charles Town
frow.gif
moved to MD recently and have been wanting to go but, haven't made it yet. If you go, please let us know how it was.

-Erin

Well we went ot the Mike's auxction at the Clarke County Fairgrounds today (Berryville). Good selection of birds today but there was a limit to buying birds to Va residents only. No worries about that. Everything from chicks to full blooded roosters, guineas,ducks, pheasent. Also good selection of rabbits, some goats,pigs. While I live in Charles town WV I was not able to buy poultry but somehow my Toyota Fj was filled with Rabbit cages.

Steve, all you need to do is get a permit for VA. They require all out of staters to have a permit to transport birds in and out of VA.

MLP, we know but wee were going to this auction the first time kinda of on a whim so no harm done. But how does one get a permit? please enlighten me

Last edited:
When is the next Mike's auction? Does anyone have a site or schedule?

Seymour Poultry Auction will be at the Warren Co. Fairgrounds in Front Royal, VA on Aug 13.
I, too, would like to know how to get a permit to take birds out VA.

Last edited:
This is what I found:

http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/animals/admissions.shtml

2VAC5-140-90. Poultry.
A. Pullorum-typhoid. Hatching eggs and poultry shall not be imported into the Commonwealth of Virginia unless such eggs or poultry originate exclusively from flocks participating in the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP) or the National Turkey Improvement Plan (NTIP) (CFR, Title 9, Chapter I, Parts 1 to 199).
These programs shall be under the supervision of the official state agency ofNPIP or NTIP, the livestock health official, or other authorized government
agency of the state of origin certifying them to be free of Pullorum-typhoid.
B. Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. Hatching eggs and poultry shall not be imported into the Commonwealth of Virginia unless such eggs or poultry originate from flocks that are designated free of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum by the livestock health official of the state of origin. Each importer of hatching eggs or poultry into Virginia shall secure from the State Veterinarian an approval number, after having provided evidence that the flocks of origin are free of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. This approval number shall appear on shipping labels or containers of each lot shipped into Virginia.
C. Approval numbers.
1. Each shipper of hatching eggs or poultry must first secure an approval number from the State Veterinarian. This approval number must appear on each shipping label or on each container of hatching eggs or poultry shipped into Virginia.
2. Applications for approval numbers must be made on forms provided by the State Veterinarian. Each application must require the following information on each flock from which the hatching eggs or poultry originate:
a. The name and address of each flockowner;
b. The species (i.e., chickens or turkeys) and the number of birds in each flock;
c. The date of the most recent Pullorum-typhoid test;
d. The total number, or the percentage, of positive reactions to the most recent Pullorum-typhoid test;
e. The Pullorum-typhoid status attained; and
f. Such additional information as the State Veterinarian may require.
3. Such applications, when completed, must be forwarded to the official
state agency, the state livestock health official, or other competent and recognized authority of the state of origin for verification, approval and signature; and then forwarded to the State Veterinarian for final approval. Hatching eggs or poultry shall not be shipped into Virginia until final approval has been granted and the approval number is received.
D. Exceptions. This chapter shall not apply to hatching eggs or poultry passing directly through the Commonwealth of Virginia in interstate commerce, nor to poultry imported into the Commonwealth of Virginia for immediate slaughter and consigned directly to a poultry processing establishment that is approved and inspected by the United States Department of Agriculture or by the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

Basically, I called our State Vet. She sent my results to the State Vet in VA. They sent me a permit application. I filled it out and they gave me a number. Now I receive an application in the mail annually.

Back
Top Bottom