Bes broody hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ninabl, Apr 6, 2012.

1. ninabl

ninabl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    franklin ky
    I hatched a bunch of barred rocks last year and plan to hatch rhode island reds this year along with some Cornish x eggs. Last year I used a incubator and want to use a hen this year. I am wondering what the best hen breeds for this purpose would be? I have a cousin that used a silkie for this and it worked out good. I have also heard of silkies trying to hatch a rock. It seems like everyone around here is wanting a arm and a leg for a silkie right now and I'm not wanting to drive to far with today's gas prices. My barred rocks won't go broody for nothing. I have done some research online and come back empty handed so I figured I would ask here and see what the pros have to say.
    Thanks in advance.

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Yep! Silkies definitely!!
    If you just want a Silkie or two for their broodiness, check out the local poultry swaps or auctions in your area.
    Here the Silkies are going for about $5 at the auctions.
    They won't be show quality, but you don't need show quality to hatch eggs.
    My friend's daughter just bought two Silkies at an auction last month (a male & female) for $7 each.
    Well, they both turned out to be female and they both are sitting on eggs right now.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by