Best and worst experiences ordering live chicks?

Go onto local agricultural organization lists in your area to buy from locals. Surely, if you are able to keep poultry you live near a rural area with farms in driving distance.

I had a wonderful experience ordering day old chicks from Cackle Hatchery. I live in NC if that gives you information about the amount of travel the chicks endured. The Hatchery had smaller required limits and sent extras. I needed to call them 3 times after the chicks arrived and they were so kind, helpful and professional.

Edited to add that my chicks shipped in June. All chicks arrived alive, healthy and happy birds at two and a half days old whenever I received them.

Last edited:
I disagree about beginners buying fancier breeds of chickens I advise against it as they do often have different sets of needs that only more experienced breeders know about.
The standard Sex Link chicken, Leghorn etc etc.is created to be easier to raise and care for taking into account egg and meat production as well. It doesn’t mean you can’t try others but, specific breeds of chickens have been bred for ease of care.

Go onto local agricultural organization lists in your area to buy from locals. Surely, if you are able to keep poultry you live near a rural area with farms in driving distance.

Just getting chickens is not the goal of this post. Acquiring specific rare breeds that are not available to me within a 5 hour round trip drive is. You yourself said that even you order your rare breeds through mail. If you only want to preach local purchases and do not wish to share what hatcheries you’ve had bad experiences and/or what small or large breeders you’ve successfully received live chick shipments from, your input is not helpful.

Obviously, if I could acquire the rare chicks I’m searching for by avoiding shipment altogether, I would.

I am able to keep poultry and the nearest fam that I can buy birds from is multiple hours away. The nearest farm store is an hour and a half away. I'm also not the outlier here, I know four other people within walking distance of me that also keep chickens. Distance from farms and rural areas really has no bearing on your ability to keep poultry.

If buying through the mail is your only option, get rush delivery! Always have an insistent conversation over the phone about what you want ask lots of questions. I myself have had bad experiences buying through the mail.
Track the chicks and rush to get them at the post office get them home asap to a light bulb.
They arrive dehydrated. Immediately give them water for electrolytes. They are more likely to die otherwise. Lots of water!

I am able to keep poultry and the nearest fam that I can buy birds from is multiple hours away. The nearest farm store is an hour and a half away. I'm also not the outlier here, I know four other people within walking distance of me that also keep chickens. Distance from farms and rural areas really has no bearing on your ability to keep poultry.

Just a thought, how about any of the members on your state's thread? I'm cerainly not near you, but I know often people in my state have birds, maybe someone in Washington is incubating now, for the Easter hatch a thon?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...me-together-washington-peeps.717207/page-4921

I haven’t checked the Washington thread here specifically, but have searched the rest of the internet thoroughly. Almost all smaller farms are on the western side of the state(4ish hours one way from me). The closest one I could find in my region is almost 2 hours away and I already contacted her. The breeds I was looking for, she wasn’t able to supply this year, due to some rooster deaths and raccoon predation.

I will check on that thread also.

There is a very small window of time that a chick can survive a trip through the mail. immediately after hatching, they have ingested enough protein from the egg to survive without eating maybe 3 days possibly longer. No all do though.
Rush them home from the post office. Give lots of water, medicated chick starter food 4-6 months, light bulb on 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom