Best and worst experiences ordering live chicks?

I haven’t checked the Washington thread here specifically, but have searched the rest of the internet thoroughly. Almost all smaller farms are on the western side of the state(4ish hours one way from me). The closest one I could find in my region is almost 2 hours away and I already contacted her. The breeds I was looking for, she wasn’t able to supply this year, due to some rooster deaths and raccoon predation.

I will check on that thread also.
If you ever come to eastern Montana, I'll be glad to share eggs, but they're probably not what you're looking for 😅

Just getting chickens is not the goal of this post. Acquiring specific rare breeds that are not available to me within a 5 hour round trip drive is. You yourself said that even you order your rare breeds through mail. If you only want to preach local purchases and do not wish to share what hatcheries you’ve had bad experiences and/or what small or large breeders you’ve successfully received live chick shipments from, your input is not helpful.

Obviously, if I could acquire the rare chicks I’m searching for by avoiding shipment altogether, I would.
What breed of chickens are you looking for?

Im blessed in that I have a major farm supply center 15 minutes away. When I want regular old whatever chicks, I peruse carefully my choices there in the CHICKROOM. They probably aren’t always happy to see me certainly since, I’m not the easiest customer, but I’ve been going there longer than any of their remaining employees.

What breed of chickens are you looking for?

Breeds that the only small hatchery within a 4 hour one way drive(still 2 hours each way) doesn’t carry this year due to reasons stated in a previous comment. I have checked extensively. The other hatchery “close” was at about a two and a half hour drive is closed as of last month.

To echo another person here, I’m in a very agricultural area and there are no other licensed or certified breeders in my area. I am not so desperate for a rare breed that I pay money to get an unknown bird raised in unknown conditions from an unregulated genetic pool just because the egg shell color looks correct. Demographic of an area is not a guarantee of availability of goods.

Breeds that the only small hatchery within a 4 hour one way drive(still 2 hours each way) doesn’t carry this year due to reasons stated in a previous comment. I have checked extensively. The other hatchery “close” was at about a two and a half hour drive is closed as of last month.

To echo another person here, I’m in a very agricultural area and there are no other licensed or certified breeders in my area. I am not so desperate for a rare breed that I pay money to get an unknown bird raised in unknown conditions from an unregulated genetic pool just because the egg shell color looks correct. Demographic of an area is not a guarantee of availability of goods.
What kinds of rare chickens do you want to buy? I sell but am reluctant to ship.

Im blessed in that I have a major farm supply center 15 minutes away. When I want regular old whatever chicks, I peruse carefully my choices there in the CHICKROOM. They probably aren’t always happy to see me certainly since, I’m not the easiest customer, but I’ve been going there longer than any of their remaining employees.

I also have a major farm supply store in my area. As well as some smaller Ag stores and Ace Hardware types. I repeat, I am NOT having trouble finding “any old chick”. I am looking at options for getting SPECIFIC breeds. Thus the whole purpose of this thread... to explore ordering my desired additions through the mail.

I also have a major farm supply store in my area. As well as some smaller Ag stores and Ace Hardware types. I repeat, I am NOT having trouble finding “any old chick”. I am looking at options for getting SPECIFIC breeds. Thus the whole purpose of this thread... to explore ordering my desired additions through the mail.
And I repeat my question, what breeds are you trying to buy??????

I have not personally ordered chicks, but I would also personally not hesitate to do so. Everyone else I know that has chickens (IRL) has had them shipped. Most people that I know online have had them shipped. The main potential issue with shipping is loss in the mail, but that is rare, and if you're extremely concerned about it, you can just order extra chicks (which, because many rare breeds only come straight run, you'd probably be doing anyway).

What kinds of rare chickens do you want to buy? I sell but am reluctant to ship.

Swedish flower hens, French Black copper marans, Cream legbars(although I would settle for a well bred Amerucana line), Salmon Faverolles, and Olive Eggers, because I’d like to not wait two plus years to cross my own.

I’m only looking to buy from small operations if they have proof of regular disease testing done on their flock or carry an NPIP(or equivalent) certification. If you don’t, I’m sure your birds are quite healthy, if you have sold in the past, but buying shipped birds come with enough risk as it is.

And I already got screwed trusting a certified long standing small farm for shipping eggs, and she closed up her farm and left a lot of people high and dry. No refunds or fulfilled orders. I had to open a dispute with my bank to get my money back.

Swedish flower hens, French Black copper marans, Cream legbars(although I would settle for a well bred Amerucana line), Salmon Faverolles, and Olive Eggers, because I’d like to not wait two plus years to cross my own.

I’m only looking to buy from small operations if they have proof of regular disease testing done on their flock or carry an NPIP(or equivalent) certification. If you don’t, I’m sure your birds are quite healthy, if you have sold in the past, but buying shipped birds come with enough risk as it is.

And I already got screwed trusting a certified long standing small farm for shipping eggs, and she closed up her farm and left a lot of people high and dry. No refunds or fulfilled orders. I had to open a dispute with my bank to get my money back.
You will have no struggle finding those breeds at Cackle hatchery (best quality birds that I've seen) however, if you're looking to breed for show, I'd head to a breeder for each one separately. No matter how good hatchery birds are, they won't be able to compete with standard bred birds from a breeder that specializes in them.

Back
Top Bottom